Barbell Lunge (Quads) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Quads
Equipment needed: Barbell
1. Set a barbell in a rack just below shoulder height. After loading the barbell with the right weight, step under the bar and place the back of your shoulders across it.
2. Grab the bar with both your hands at each side and lift off the barbell from the rack by extending at your knees and straightening your torso at the same time.
3. Take a couple of steps back after unracking the bar. Breathe in and step forward with your right leg and squat down through your hips, while keeping your torso upright.
4. Make sure you maintain your balance while performing the lunges. Go down until your right knee is a couple of inches off the floor.
5. Return to the starting position by pushing through your heels while breathing in and maintaining your balance.
6. Repeat for the recommended repetitions and then switch to your left leg.
Caution: Using excess weights than you can maintain your balance with can lead to an accident.
Alternate Barbell Lunge
Instead of performing the lunges on one leg before switching to the other, you could alternate between reps. Maintaining your balance is the key to performing the lunges. If you’re new to lunges, you should start by doing them while holding onto fixed objects like the squat rack.