Get better bodybuilding results by converting your calories into lean muscle mass—not stored fat.
When you eat, one of two things happen:
- You get fat.
- You gain muscle mass.
Okay, maybe it’s a little more complicated than that…
For example, eating certain foods contributes to increased fat mass more so than others, and when you eat may significantly impact your body composition in different ways as well.
Likewise, your daily level of exercise largely determines whether your caloric intake is spent on fat storage or muscle growth.
Even so, the point remains: fat mass and muscle mass are oppositional.
Because the body requires food energy to build and maintain muscle, increasing your muscle mass is one of the best ways to reduce your fat mass.
This is partly why increasing your energy expenditure via exercise is a superior fat loss strategy over simply reducing your energy intake (i.e., how much you eat).
Bodybuilding is as much a fat-burning strategy as it is a muscle-building one.
And, with that in mind, that also means that taking an effective fat burner supplement may go a long way in improving your overall body composition, namely your body’s fat-to-muscle ratio.
In this guide, we cover the fat loss benefits of bodybuilding, as well as the Best Fat Burner for Bodybuilding you can take to further improve your fat-burning, muscle-building efforts in the gym.
Best Fat Burner for Bodybuilding: Performance Lab® Burn
Performance Lab® Burn combines all the best ingredients for protecting muscle gains while encouraging fat loss in the All-in-One Best Fat Burner for Bodybuilding supplement stack.
It’s an ultramodern, fat burner formula uniquely designed to protect anabolic muscle gains while stimulating thermogenesis in support of an overall leaner, yet muscular body composition.
Taken as a pre-workout ergogenic aid, Performance Lab® Burn naturally boosts thermogenic fat loss and exercise endurance…without using any overloads of stimulants or synthetics.
The result is sustained muscle mass and greater fat loss in less time.
Altogether, Performance Lab® Burn improves fat loss and exercise performance by:
- Stimulating fat-splitting enzymes and hormones to increase the breakdown of stored fat cells during exercise.
- Increasing energy expenditure to further maximize the body’s calorie-burning capacity while also enhancing exercise endurance.
- Preserving lean muscle tissue growth during both fasted and non-fasted exercise to sustain an anabolic bodybuilding metabolism.
- Regulating and balancing blood sugar while regulating the appetite and curbing unhealthy cravings to limit fat storage.
Designed to spare muscle tissue while stimulating a fiery hot fat-burning metabolism with a safe, innovative, stim-free formula, Performance Lab® Burn is the best fat burner supplement for sculpting a lean, mean body composition.
Performance Lab Burn Ingredients Analysis
- Calcium, 175 mg
- NutriGenesis® GTF Chromium+, 60 mcg
- Forslean® (Coleus forskohlii), 250 mg
- HMB (β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate), 1000 mg
- Capsimax® Cayenne Pepper Extract, 50 mg
- BioPerine® Black Pepper Extract,5 mg
To maximize your bodybuilding results, Performance Lab® Burn helps your body convert calories into lean, mean muscle gains—not stored fat.
One-part fat burner, another part performance enhancer, Performance Lab® Burn is a 100% stimulant-free formula that encourages the body to breakdown, mobilize, and burn stored fat during exercise while protecting muscle tissue against the deleterious effects of fasted training.
Whereas the typical fat burner essentially amounts to a megadosed caffeine pill, SPORT Burn takes a more natural, caffeine-free approach to burning fat, resulting in a more sustainable boost on your health and fitness.
Which isn’t to say that caffeine is an ineffective fat burner, but there’s a smarter synergistic way to burn fat and build muscle that involves a precise combination of ingredient bio-activities.
Performance Lab® Burn’s unique combination of fat burning and muscle building is specially designed to optimize the body’s muscle-to-fat ratio.
Additionally, SPORT Burn’s use of NutriCaps®, a patented, plant-based capsule constructed out of fermented tapioca (pullulan), ensures that this formula stays 100% clean and organic, inside and out.
Everything in Performance Lab® Burn is gluten-free, vegan-friendly, eco-friendly, allergen-free, soy-free, stim-free, and non-GMO – only clean, green fat burners for lean, mean muscle gains here.
Stack With: Performance Lab® Stim
There’s a reason why caffeine remains one of the more popular bodybuilding staples: it works, both as a performance enhancer and fat burner.
As a nootropic-enhanced “Caffeine 2.0” pill, Performance Lab® Stim supercharges athletic performance with a smart combination of natural caffeine (50 mg per serving) and caffeine-balancing nootropics.
Taken in a pre-workout context, Performance Lab® Stim may help amplify your exercise intensity without the usual jittery side effects associated with caffeine, while increasing your body’s calorie-burning capacity for greater fat loss results.
It’s also made to stack perfectly with other Performance Lab supplements, such as Performance Lab Burn. Taking caffeine separately keeps the power in your hands; you can choose exactly when to take caffeine with your fat burner, choosing to not take it later in the evening to avoid lack of sleep.
- Supplement Facts: NutriGenesis® Caffeine Balance B-Complex: Riboflavin+ (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B6+, Folate+ (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12+; Natural Caffeine (from Coffea robustaseeds), Suntheanine® L-Theanine, Ajipure® L-Tyrosine
To read the full list of fat burners for bodybuilding, jump down to the Top 5 Fat Burners for Bodybuilding.
Or keep reading to learn how fat burners can help you improve your bodybuilding metabolism in the gym for a leaner, meaner physique.
Here’s the Plan: Build Lean Muscle to Burn Excess Fat
The problem with many weight loss strategies is that, in addition to fat loss, they encourage a loss in lean muscle mass. For bodybuilders, this makes most modern diets involving calorie restrictions a no-go.
The idea is to build lean body mass, not lose it.
Fortunately, bodybuilding inherently encourages fat loss as much as muscle gains. After all, skeletal muscle metabolism is a major determinant of resting energy expenditure.
The greater your muscle mass, the more calories you burn while at rest—i.e., while sitting on your butt.
Of course, lifting weights doesn’t suddenly grant you license to eat whatever you want at whatever quantities you desire.
It is possible to still eat too much (as well as too much of the wrong stuff) while exercise, resulting in a simultaneous increase in muscle mass and fat mass.
However, you also don’t want to not eat enough while exercising, lest you disrupt your muscle gains and exercise momentum.
Which is why seeking “energy balance” is the best strategy to simultaneously build lean muscle mass and burn excess fat mass for an all-around healthier bodybuilding metabolism.
Seek Energy Balance, Not Calorie Restriction
Many weight loss strategies emphasize cutting back on total calorie intake when they should be focusing on achieving an energy balance between calorie intake (eating) and calorie expenditure (exercise).
There’s a good reason why many athletes are turning towards the “energy balance” strategy of weight management over the traditional “calorie reduction” strategy.
Well, actually, there are several good reasons:
- Calorie Restriction is Unsustainable: Your hunger will always outpace your motivation. Matching your calorie intake by heightening your calorie expenditure not only lowers the strain on your willpower but may actually bolster your willpower, due to the disciplinary benefits of exercise.
- Calorie Restriction is Nutrient Restriction: When you limit your calorie count, you’re also limiting your essential nutrient levels, which may significantly impair your metabolic health—not to mention your immunity, cognition, and many other aspects of health and fitness.
- The Research Says So: Don’t just take our word for it. Research suggests that smaller adjustments in energy intake and expenditure that tend towards energy balance are more effective than larger adjustments, especially ones that focus solely on drastically lowering energy (food) intake.
The body is biased towards maintaining high levels of energy intake and expenditure, as opposed to low levels of intake and expenditure.
If your daily routine involves some form of exercise, your average daily energy expenditure is likely already high.
For both nutritional and non-nutritional reasons, maintaining a high degree of daily energy expenditure is key for a healthy lifestyle.
However, one of the easiest ways to derail your daily fitness is to lower your energy intake below your energy expenditure levels.
This is like speeding past all the gas stations while driving a fast car on the highway: eventually (and quickly) you’ll run out of gas and burn out.
While, yes, lowering your calorie input is a traditionally effective way to decrease fat mass, the healthier, more sustainable method of fat loss involves matching your calorie intake with your (high) energy expenditure. Lift more to eat more, baby.
That’s called a win-win!
Boost Your Bodybuilding Results with a Fat Burner
Okay, so you’re doing your best to equalize your energy intake and energy expenditure. Perhaps you’ve even committed to an intermittent fasting, or fasted training, routine to further encourage your body to burn stored fat in service of your exercise performance.
And, yet, you feel like you’re still not seeing the results you quite want.
This is where a fat burner supplement comes into play. An effective fat burner supplement can help you maximize your bodybuilding results by:
Triggering Pre-Workout Thermogenesis
Warming up prior to exercise does more than loosen up the muscles and get the circulation flowing. As the phrase suggests, “warming up” also helps trigger thermogenesis, the process of heat production involving the burning of calories.
With that in mind, certain fat burner supplements, when taken in a pre-workout context, may help increase your body’s fat-burning capacity during exercise by stimulating thermogenesis.
The fitness advantages of this are two-fold: (1) enhanced thermogenesis increases the rate of fat breakdown, and (2) the increase in fat burning may help fuel and energize exercise performance.
Protecting Lean Muscle Gains
Many fat burner supplements (and fat burner supplement customers) fail to consider the other half of burning fat, which is building muscle.
As previously mentioned, many weight loss strategies threaten to diminish lean muscle gains, which is why the best fat burner supplements also focus on protecting lean muscle gains in addition to enhancing thermogenesis.
Even when energy intake matches energy expenditure, exercising on an empty stomach (i.e., fasted training) may exacerbate muscle catabolism (breakdown), resulting in increased soreness and muscle fatigue—not to mention performance detriments.
Fat burners that spare muscle tissue against the deleterious effects of exercise are key to a successful bodybuilding regimen.
Regulating Appetite and Cravings
One of the upsides of exercise: you can eat more. However, the idea is to eat healthy foods that are conducive to anabolic muscle growth.
The problem is that our appetite and cravings tend to seek foods high in fat, salt, and sugar—i.e., foods high in calories but low in nutrients.
Granted, exercise is in itself an effective appetite suppressant. Yet, if you’re practicing intermittent fasting, or fasted training, it can be difficult to maintain your fast when your cravings for the aforementioned fat, salt, and sugar ramp up, as is often the case while in a fasted state.
Fat burner supplements that curb your cravings can be incredibly powerful tools to help you maintain better control over your appetite.
Top 5 Fat Burners for Bodybuilding
Thermogenesis, anabolic gains, craving control—the Best Fat Burner Supplements for Bodybuilding do all that and more, even without resorting to caffeine or risky, heart-racing stimulants.
With that in mind, here are a few of the best non-stimulatory fat burners you can take to cleanly, safely, and legally boost your bodybuilding results:
#1) HMB (β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate)
Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate, or simply HMB, is a metabolite of leucine, the most anabolic of the three BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids).
As a fat burner, HMB is particularly effective for bodybuilders, thanks to this compound’s simultaneously benefits on fat loss and muscle gains.
Essentially, HMB helps maximize the fat-burning benefits of exercise while minimizing the muscle-catabolizing drawbacks.
HMB benefits exercise performance by:
- Neutralizing muscle-damaging enzymes generated during fasted training that impair muscle performance and growth.
- Enhancing strength, maximal oxygen consumption, and lactic aid buffering to improve training stamina and performance.
Additionally, HMB helps encourage a lean body composition by promoting protein synthesis within the mTOR pathway while also encouraging the body to burn stored fat as exercise fuel, rather than muscle tissue.
One study on the effects of a 12-week HMB supplementation on highly-trained combat sports athletes found significant improvements in fat-free mass and fat loss, leading the researchers to the conclusion that “HMB promotes advantageous changes in body composition and stimulates an increase in aerobic and anaerobic capacity in combat sports athletes.”
#2) Coleus Forskohlii Extract
If you’ve ever researched “fat burners for bodybuilders” (as you’re doing now), you’ve likely come across Coleus forskohlii Extract (again, as you are right now).
This is because Coleus forskohlii supplies forskolin, a bioactive herbal constituent that increases cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate).
Why do you want to increase cAMP? If you’re looking to build body, there are at least a couple reasons why:
- Anabolic Muscle Growth: cAMP optimizes hormonal cell messengers that regulate metabolism and anabolic hormones, including thyroid hormone and testosterone.
- Triglyceride Breakdown: cAMP stimulates protein kinase, an enzyme that triggers lipolysis, or the breakdown of stored body fat.
By simultaneously stimulating anabolic muscle growth and thermogenic fat loss, Coleus forskohlii extract is one of the best fat burners for sculpting a lean, muscular body composition.
Other health uses of Coleus forskohlii involve improving sexual health, insulin activity, and cognitive performance.
Combined with HMB, you may see significant improvements in muscle growth, strength, and stamina during exercise.
Best Coleus Forskohlii Extract for Bodybuilding: Forslean®
Standardized to a potent extract of 10% forskolin, Forslean® is the go-to Coleus forskohlii brand for bodybuilders and non-bodybuilders alike.
Patented and research-backed, Forslean® is also one of the safest and most effective fat burners available, with one review study linking Forslean® to improvements in “body metabolism and body fat by increasing lean body mass and metabolic activity.”
#3) Cayenne Pepper Extract
Stimulants, such as caffeine, are popular ingredients in fat burner supplements due to their pro-catecholamine activities.
By stimulating catecholamine neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and norepinephrine and epinephrine, stimulants help increase energy expenditure and, therefore, exercise performance and fat loss.
Only one problem: stimulants also increase your blood pressure and heart rate to an unhealthy degree. Which is why Cayenne pepper extract is the superior pro-catecholamine fat burner.
Supplying active capsaicinoids, such as capsaicin, cayenne pepper extract stimulates the adrenals to release epinephrine and norepinephrine via non-stimulatory pathways.
As a result, sites such as Phactual regard cayenne pepper extract as one of the best ingredients to kickstart your metabolism.
In turn, these hormones contribute to fat loss by:
- Stimulating beta adrenergic receptors that signal cells to increase energy expenditure (think of epinephrine’s association with “Fight-or-Flight”), thereby maximizing the exercising body’s calorie-burning capacity.
- Signaling for hormone sensitive lipase to promote lipolysis (fat breakdown), fat mobilization, and fat oxidation both before and after exercise.
Working as a stim-free pro-catecholamine fat burner, Cayenne pepper extract is the healthier option for catecholaminergic fat loss and energy expenditure.
As a group of researchers observed in 2013, small amounts of capsaicin when paired with a negative energy balance may help counteract the unfavorable effects on energy levels associated with negative energy balance (i.e., when calorie intake is lower than calorie expenditure).
Their findings supported the conclusion that capsaicin “promotes fat oxidation in negative energy balance and does not increase blood pressure significantly.”
Best Cayenne Pepper Extract for Bodybuilding: Capsimax®
Supplying a standardized potency of 2% capsaicinoids, Capsimax® is a popular cayenne pepper extract brand for burning fat and stimulating catecholamine activity without the stim-related side effects.
Buffered by OmniBead™ microsphere technology, Capsimax® also works without the typical gastric burning side effects associated with chili peppers.
#4) GTF Chromium
GTF Chromium (the “GTF” stands for “glucose tolerance factor”) is a complex of molecules, including most notably the trace mineral chromium, typically found in whole foods like brewer’s yeast.
In recent years, chromium has been receiving a lot of attention as a fat loss supporter, due to this mineral’s effects on insulin activity, nutrient metabolism, and appetite.
GTF chromium assists with fat loss by helping regulate:[19,20]
- Insulin activity and resistance
- Metabolism of sugars, fats, and proteins
- Appetite and blood sugar maintenance
To help stabilize your appetite, as well as the more nutritional aspects of fat loss and metabolic health, adding GTF chromium to your fat burning supplement stack is a smart move.
Best GTF Chromium for Bodybuilding: NutriGenesis®
A clean and cultivated mineral form, NutriGenesis® GTF Chromium is complexed with natural cofactors, such as probiotics, fibers, and enzymes, for peak bioavailability and superior fat loss support.
The enhanced bioavailability ensures greater absorption and efficacy than standard, inferior chromium ingredients.
#5) Black Pepper Extract
In all supplements, fat burners and otherwise, Black Pepper Extract is always a smart addition, thanks to the absorption-enhancing benefits of piperine, the spicy, bioactive constituent of black pepper.
Dietary piperine, by stimulating digestive enzymes and nutrient absorption, may improve the overall bioavailability and efficacy of a formula.
For fat burners in particular, the advantages of black pepper extract extend beyond enhancing nutrient absorption, as piperine also assists with:
- Promoting Thermogenesis to increase energy expenditure
- Inhibiting Adipogenesis, the formation of new fat cells
Additionally, piperine may help increase the resting metabolic rate of lean muscle mass, essentially converting the lean body mass you build into a calorie-burning furnace.
Best Black Pepper Extract for Bodybuilding: BioPerine®
The most popular black pepper extract brand, BioPerine® supplies a 95% piperine extract, compared to the 3-9% piperine potency of raw black pepper.
This highly concentrated extract not only assists with nutrient absorption and fat loss but works in tiny doses, making BioPerine® one of the more “common sense” ingredients when it comes to fat burning.
For the bodybuilder, only half the battle involves building body.
The other half involves the breakdown of stored fat—which is, in a way, the opposite of bodybuilding. It’s body-destroying!
But let’s not get hung up on the semantics.
What is mainly important here is that reducing your excess stored fat levels may significantly improve your health and fitness, not to mention your anabolic muscle gains—and vice versa: muscle gains help burn fat.
Which is why Performance Lab® Burn focuses just as much on lean muscle gains as thermogenic fat loss.
Performance Lab® Burn naturally burns fat and builds muscle with a clean, natural, stim-free stack of thermogenic, ergogenic aids.
Of course, Performance Lab® Burn isn’t going to do all the work for you. You still need to show up at the gym and hit the reps hard.
But, even so, Burn will ensure that you’re not wasting all your time and effort on only achieving meager results.
Naturally, everyone stalls out with their workout routine.
And if you’re new to bodybuilding, losing all that excess weight can seem like an impossible, daunting task.
But with Performance Lab® Burn, you’ll not only see quicker results, but you’ll feel them, too.
Taken prior to exercise, especially fasted exercise, Performance Lab® Burn can go a long way in boosting your exercise energy and endurance, granting you a sharper, cleaner competitive edge in the gym, on the court—wherever you compete or exercise.
Performance Lab® Burn is the best fat burning formula for exercisers and athletes of all types.
- Hill JO et al. Energy Balance and Obesity. Circulation. 2012 Jul 3; 126(1): 126-132.
- Leidy HJ et al. The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015 Jun; 101(6): 1320S-1329S.
- Willoughby D et al. Body Composition Changes in Weight Loss: Strategies and Supplementation for Maintaining Lean Body Mass, a Brief Review. Nutrients. 2018 Dec; 10(12): 1876.
- Hill JO et al. The Importance of Energy Balance. Eur Endocrinol. 2013 Aug; 9(2): 111-115.
- Zurlo F et al. Skeletal muscle metabolism is a major determinant of resting energy expenditure. J Clin Invest. 1990 Nov; 86(5): 1423-1427.
- Muller MJ, Bosy-Westphal A. Adaptive thermogenesis with weight loss in humans. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Feb; 21(2): 218-28.
- Tipton KD et al. Assessing the Role of Muscle Protein Breakdown in Response to Nutrition and Exercise in Humans. Sports Med. 2018; 48(Suppl 1): 53-64.
- Dorling J et al. Acute and Chronic Effects of Exercise on Appetite, Energy Intake, and Appetite-Related Hormones: The Modulating Effect of Adiposity, Sex, and Habitual Physical Activity. Nutrients. 2018 Sep; 10(9): 1140.
- Stohs SJ, Badmaev V. A Review of Natural Stimulant and Non-stimulant Thermogenic Agents. Phytother Res. 2016 May; 30(5): 732-740.
- Arazi H et al. A Review of the Effects of Leucine Metabolite (β-Hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate) Supplementation and Resistance Training on Inflammatory Markers: A New Approach to Oxidative Stress and Cardiovascular Risk Factors. Antioxidants (Basel). 2018 Oct; 7(10): 148.
- Durkalec-Michalski K, Jeszka J. The Effect of β-Hydroxy-β-Methylbutyrate on Aerobic Capacity and Body Composition in Trained Athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Sep; 30(9): 2617-26.
- Kaczka P et al. Mechanism of Action and the Effect of Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate (HMB) Supplementation on Different Types of Physical Performance – A Systematic Review. J Hum Kinet. 2019 Aug; 68: 211-222.
- Durkalec-Michalski K et al. The Effect of a 12-Week Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) Supplementation on Highly-Trained Combat Sports Athletes: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Study. Nutrients. 2017 Jul; 9(7): 753.
- Godard MP et al. Body composition and hormonal adaptations associated with forskolin consumption in overweight and obese men. Obes Res. 2005 Aug; 13(8): 1335-43.
- Loftus HL et al. Coleus forskohlii Extract Supplementation in Conjunction with a Hypocaloric Diet Reduces the Risk Factors of Metabolic Syndrome in Overweight and Obese Subjects: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Nutrients. 2015 Nov; 7(11): 9508-9522.
- Purves D et al. Catecholamine Receptors. Neuroscience. 2nd Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates; 2001.
- McCarty MF et al. Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health. Open Heart. 2015; 2(1): e000262.
- Janssens PLHR et al. Acute Effects of Capsaicin on Energy Expenditure and Fat Oxidation in Negative Energy Balance. PLoS One. 2013; 8(7): e67786.
- Havel PJ. A scientific review: The role of chromium in insulin resistance. Diabetes Educ. 2004; Suppl: 2-14.
- Anton SD et al. Effects of Chromium Picolinate on Food Intake and Satiety. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2008 Oct; 10(5): 405-412.
- Srinivasan K. Black pepper and its pungent principle-piperine: a review of diverse physiological effects. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2007; 47(8): 735-48.
- Nogara L et al. Piperine’s mitigation of obesity and diabetes can be explained by its up-regulation of the metabolic rate of resting muscle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Nov 15; 113(46): 13009-13014.