Boost your overall health and athletic performance with these great omega-3 supplements.
We always hear about omega-3 supplements and how important they are for our overall health. Although they are fatty acids, this is one kind of fat to keep around, and for good reason. While they are often found in many of the foods we already eat, taking omega-3’s as a dietary supplement can boost our overall health to keep us in the gym and off the couch. No matter the time of year, your body needs the absolute best to continue to thrive and see those gains we all know and love.
Fish oil is one popular supplement many people take for a variety of reasons, including fighting anxiety and depression, improving eye and heart health, promoting bone and joint health, reducing inflammation, as well as keeping you in overall top shape to see your gains come to fruition and keep your athletic performance in top shape. Krill oil is another omega-3 supplement to consider that could potentially dethrone the popular fish oil by providing the same benefits. It has been observed that krill oil can enhance bioavailability allowing for better digestion than fish oil (1).
Here is our list of the Best Omega-3 Supplements for 2022 so you can be well on your way to boosting your own health and wellness while working to maximize your gains. A mix of both krill and fish oil, you can check out a few of both and see which one would work better for your lifestyle.
Best Omega-3 Supplements of 2022
- Best Omega-3 Supplement Overall: Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil
- Best Omega-3 For Bodybuilders: Enhanced Omega-3
- Best Omega-3 For No Burps: Kaged Muscle Omega-3 Fish Oil
- Best Vegan Omega-3 Supplement: Performance Lab Omega-3
- Best Omega-3 For Pain Inflammation: Onnit Krill Oil
- Best Omega-3 For Cholesterol Levels: Viva Naturals Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil
Best Omega-3 Supplement Overall
The best omega-3 supplement is out there and can work wonders for all your gains. Having a clean product that is naturally sourced with proper ingredients is key in giving you all the great benefits that an omega-3 product can bring.
Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil
|Number Of Servings||30|
CoreSeries Krill Oil offers the best for an omega-3 supplement. Its krill oil is exclusively extracted from Antarctic krill species, Euphausia Superba, which is rich in the omega-3 fatty acids Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Using phospholipids, as opposed to triglycerides, separates krill oil from fish oil by being easier on the body when it comes to ingestion. CoreSeries Krill Oil can support brain, joint, and heart health with a high-quality, mercury free supplement.
- High-quality krill oil with great absorption
- Good benefits to brain, joint, and heart health
- From a company who prides themselves on transparency and honesty
- Only available on their website
Check out our individual review for Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil here!
Best Omega-3 For Bodybuilders
The best omega-3 for bodybuilders will work to give you the best benefits towards those strength building goals while keeping you healthy overall.
|Number Of Servings||50|
Enhanced Labs puts a premium spin on fish oil with its all-new omega-3 supplement featuring a potent 1,000mg EPA and 400mg DHA per serving. Enhanced Fish Oil promotes itself as one of the cleanest fish oil supplements on the market featuring superior, purified triglyceride fish oil. This supplement can work for better muscle growth, reduce muscle soreness, and work for better range of motion.
- 50 servings for $19.99
- Enhances athletic performance and overall health
- Safe and non-hormonal
- Stimulant free
- Large soft gel that some users may have difficulty swallowing
Check out our individual review for Enhanced Omega-3 here!
Best Omega-3 For No Burps
One downside of some omega-3 supplements is the burps and after taste, but with a high-quality product, you don’t have to worry about any of that affecting you negatively.
Kaged Muscle Omega-3 Fish Oil
|Number Of Servings||30|
Kaged Muscle Omega-3 Fish Oil is great for anyone looking for a pure supplement to support brain and heart health. With high-absorption triglycerides and fish-free burps, this supplement contains 100% wild caught fish oil with 1,100mg of EPA and 900mg of DHA to promote healthy joints and support brain and heart health. Superior absorption allows for these ingredients to hit you faster to optimize all 3,000mg of triple strength and max potency fish oil. A great option, this has extremely low oxidation value and is cleaned and purified to minimize heavy metals.
- High-absorption triglycerides
- 100% wild caught
- Pure and potent fish oil
- Great for joints and brain and heart health
- Heavy metal testing says to minimize while others are advertised as totally free of
Check out our individual review for Kaged Muscle Omega-3 here!
Best Vegan Omega-3 Supplement
For those looking for a vegan option, plant-based omega-3s do exist. Made with awesome vegan sources, you can get the same benefits while still fitting this into your lifestyle.
Performance Lab Omega-3
|Number Of Servings||30|
Performance Lab Omega-3 is an amazing supplement to optimize cell performance to promote whole-body health and vitality. This ultraclean omega-3 can enhance brain and eye performance, promote cardiovascular health, support muscles, and soothe joints through its ultramodern design made from 100% plant-based fatty acids. Sourced from natural algae, this safe and effective omega-3 has no fishy taste or smell and offers a nice alternative to your traditional fish or krill oil products.
- Clean and safe alternative to fish oil
- Great benefits and an ultramodern design
- From a reputable and honest company in Performance Lab
- A premium priced option
- Only available directly from their website
Price: $39.00/ 30 servings
Check out our individual review for Performance Lab Omega-3 here!
Best Omega-3 For Pain Inflammation
Inflammation can be a drag and omega-3 products can help greatly with your pain needs. Great ingredients that are dosed effectively are perfect for whatever you need to help alleviate inflammation.
Onnit Krill Oil
|Number Of Servings||30|
ONNIT brings this krill oil into the mix as a great supplement to support healthy joints and alleviate pain. Packed with 130mg of EPA, 60mg of DHA, and 200mcg of astaxanthin, this krill oil also supports brain and heart health, as well as blood pressure. As a great boost for energy and cognitive health, ONNIT supports your overall performance both inside and out of the gym and is one of the top tier krill oils.
- Great for joint pain with the large amount of astaxanthin it contains
- Boosts energy and cognitive health
- From a great company in Onnit
- The amount of omega 3 fatty acids in DHA and EPA could be a little higher
Price: $29.95/ 30 servings
Best Omega-3 For Cholesterol Levels
Having healthy cholesterol is key to living a healthy life. An omega-3 geared towards optimal cholesterol levels is exactly what you need to see great results.
Viva Naturals Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil
|Number Of Servings||30|
Viva Naturals Omega-3 Fish Oil is a fish oil that your body uses better and faster than most others on the market. By taking just two softgels, you’re working to get more nutrients into your body to improve brain function, eyesight, heart health, and maintain healthy levels of cholesterol. They take small, wild-caught fish like anchovies, sardines, and mackerel and purify the oil for optimal effectiveness and minimal odor and aftertaste. Using EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, they are easier to digest and your body can then use them faster for better support.
Viva Naturals Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil is a great way to get nutrients into your body faster and more effectively. Using small, wild-caught fish like anchovies, sardines, and mackerel, this product provides purity and optimal effectiveness.
- Great ratio of EPA and DHA
- Able to offer really nice benefits for inflammation and brain function
- Great price from a reputable company in Viva Naturals
- Some concerns with digestion and the breakdown of the capsules
- Third party testing didn’t test for heavy metal in some cases
Price: $29.99/ 45 servings
Check out our individual review for Viva Naturals Omega-3 Fish Oil here!
What Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
There are three kinds of omega-3 fatty acids to know about when diving into the world of these supplements. The two most important ones are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), both of which are found in certain kinds of fish. The third is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is found in different plant sources like nuts and seeds. We won’t worry as much about ALA, but know there is a plant-based option for those looking. With both krill oil and fish oil high in EPA and DHA, with booming benefits for your overall health, the choice of which one is better becomes a little more challenging as the differences tend to be more subtle than not (2).
What Are The Benefits Of Omega-3 Supplements?
Omega-3 fatty acids are important and can really work for your benefit when it comes to overall health and wellness. Of course, the more healthy you are, the better able you are at tackling any workout that comes your way.
- Promote eye health: Work to improve the structural component of your retinas to prevent degeneration.
- Fight inflammation: Can reduce substances that are linked to and cause inflammation (4).
- Enhance heart health: Lower blood pressure and slow plaque development in the arteries (5).
- Increase bone and joint health: Boost calcium in your bones and can reduce joint pain.
What’s In These Omega-3 Supplements?
The main three ingredients that make up a well-rounded omega-3 are:
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA): Found in cold water fish like herring, mackerel, halibut, among others. Some of the many benefits of EPA include lowering symptoms of depression, reducing your risk of heart disease, easing symptoms of menopause, and slowing the progression of arthritis (6).
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): Found in fish and other cold water multi-cellular organisms. Benefits of DHA include reducing your risk of heart disease, fighting inflammation and supporting muscle recovery, and working to promote better eye health.
- Astaxanthin: A natural, red pigmented ketocarotenoid with powerful antioxidant properties. Benefits include reducing exercise fatigue, aiding in heart health, boosting cognitive function, and working as an anti-inflammatory (7).
What Else To Know
When looking to take an omega-3 supplement, somewhere around 3,000-5,000mg is safe, but most people don’t need that high of a dose. Always reading the label is helpful when starting to take these supplements for these honest and transparent companies on our list will disclose important information on the bottle.
How Much Are These Omega-3’s?
Finding the right omega-3’s for your gains while also being affordable can be challenging. Of course, those more premium options will cost more money so knowing how much it is per serving may help make your decision a little easier. We’ve broken down our list so you can see the overall price and price per serving as you compare amongst our Best Omega-3’s list.
|Category||Product||Price||Why We Love It|
|Best Omega-3 Supplement Overall||Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil||Price: $29.99
Per Serving: $0.99
|High quality and honest product with great absorption and benefits.|
|Best Omega-3 For Bodybuilders||Enhanced Omega-3||Price: $19.99
Per Serving: $0.39
|Stimulant free and great for boosting athletic performance.|
|Best Omega-3 For No Burps||Kaged Muscle Omega-3 Fish Oil||Price: 29.99
Per Serving: $0.99
|Pure and potent fish oil with high absorption.|
|Best Vegan Omega-3 Supplement||Performance Lab Omega-3||Price: $49.00
Per Serving: $1.63
|Clean and safe with an ultramodern design.|
|Best Omega-3 For Pain Inflammation||ONNIT Krill Oil||Price: $29.95
Per Serving: $0.99
|Great benefits with a reputable company backing it.|
|Best Omega-3 For Cholesterol Levels||Viva Naturals Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil||Price: $21.20
Per Serving: $0.70
|Great ratio of EPA and DHA at a great price.|
What To Consider Before Buying
Before buying your omega-3 supplement, there are some important factors to consider so you get the best product possible.
Fish Oil Vs. Krill Oil Vs. Other Sources
There are a number of sources where your omega-3 can come from most notably being fish oil and krill oil. Before buying your omega-3 product, knowing which kind and which source you prefer is important for this can affect your gains.
You want to be sure your omega-3 supplement has a high absorption rate so all those omega-3’s hit you faster and more effectively. Looking to each product to see just how bioavailable it is can make all the difference.
Price & Price Per Serving
Supplements can get expensive and knowing how much these products cost and how much you get per serving can be a game changer. You can find a premium product that will work for your gains without breaking the bank.
How We Decide The Best Supplements
When it comes to putting this list of the top omega-3 supplements together, our team looks for a number of factors regarding each individual supplement. To start, we look at the brand. You deserve honest and transparent products and these brands featured here take pride in delivering the best to consumers. For ingredients, it is important they are dosed appropriately, but also contain the right ingredients. Too often do mediocre companies put things in their supplements that just don’t need to be there. Of course, price is important. It can be expensive to take care of yourself and we want to bring you the best without breaking the bank.
What Is the best omega-3 supplement?
Performance Lab Omega-3. This ultramodern supplement is amazing to optimize cell performance to promote whole-body health and vitality. It can enhance brain and eye performance, promote cardiovascular health, support muscles, and soothe joints through its ultramodern design and is made from 100% plant-based fatty acids.
Is krill oil or fish oil a better form of omega-3 supplements?
Both have great effects on your body and it is debated as to the pros and cons of both. While the benefits are largely the same, one of the main draws to krill oil is its bioavailability since it attaches to phospholipids allowing for better absorption. It is a personal preference so always do research into both types of supplements and see which is more attractive to you.
Should I take a multivitamin with an omega-3 supplement?
There are great benefits to both a multivitamin and an omega-3 supplement to round out a great supplementation routine to enhance your overall health. Using a pure DHA/EPA supplement is more ideal as to not overload on certain essential nutrients. Always look into both supplements you plan on taking to see what ingredients may overlap and how each will potentially affect your body (3).
Omega-3 supplements are incredibly important to consider when thinking of your overall health and wellness. Their powerful properties to aid in immunity, joint health, cognitive and cardiovascular functions, and provide powerful nutrients make these supplements sought after. While fish oil is a popular choice, krill oil is definitely something to consider for the omega 3s and its effects. While science continues to do more and more research into just how great krill oil is, it is arguably more effective than fish oil while providing the same benefits and more. Check out this list above and see what a great omega-3 supplement can do for you today.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
- Ulven, Stine M.; Holven, Kirsten B. (2015). “Comparison of bioavailability of krill oil versus fish oil and health effect”. (source)
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. “Omega-3 Supplements: In Depth”. (source)
- Harvard Health Publishing Harvard Women’s Health Watch (2019). “Should you be taking an omega-3 supplement?”. (source)
- Calder, Philip C. (2017). “Omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: from molecules to man”. (source)
- Harvard Men’s Health Watch (2020). “Omega-3 supplements may improve heart health”. (source)
- Tsuchiya, Yosuke; Ueda, Hisashi; Yanagimoto, Kenichi; Kato, Ayaka; Ochi, Eisuke (2021). “4-week eicosapentaenoic acid-rich fish oil supplementation partially protects muscular damage following eccentric contractions”. (source)
- Ekpe, Lawson; Inaku, Kenneth Ogar; Ekpe, Victor (2018). “Antioxidant effects of astaxanthin in various diseases- a review”. (source)