Steak vs. Fish.
Most people that I know when they are getting ready for a physique competition start incorporating more fish into their diet, as they get closer to the contest. Its no coincidence that research can validate these claims that consuming fish products can enhance fat loss over lean meat products. Omega-3 are found in deep-sea fish such as salmon, mackerel, swordfish, and shark as well as certain oils (canola) and nuts (walnuts). There are three types of omega-3 fatty acids:
- – Alpha-linoleic acid (ALA)
- – Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- – Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
Research into the weight-loss benefit of these healthy fats is still ongoing, the current theory being that these fats:
- – Improve glucose sensitivity
- – Reduce insulin resistance
- – Reduce markers of inflammation
- – Speed fat oxidation by stimulating a specific receptor in the liver that affects fat
In a cross-European study it was recently shown that consumption of cod increases weight loss in men and also has other positive health effects. The aim of this study was to investigate whether cod consumption increases weight loss and improves cardiovascular risk factors in a dose dependent manner during an 8-week energy restriction diet in young overweight and obese healthy adults. Let’s take a look at the breakdown on the next page.