Sumo Deadlift (Lower Back/Core) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Lower Back
Equipment needed: Barbell
1. Approach a loaded bar lying on the floor. Take a very wide stance so that your feet are set near the collars of the barbell and are facing outwards in the 10 and 2 o’clock direction.
2. Bend at your hips to grab the bar with an alternating grip. Your arms should be narrower than shoulder-width.
3. Take a deep breath, drop your hips and drive through your heels to lift the bar upwards. Extend through the hips and knees.
4. Drive your hips into the barbell, contract your shoulder blades and breathe out at the top of the movement.
5. Return to the starting position with a slow and controlled motion while breathing in.
6. Repeat for the recommended reps.
Adding chains to the barbell is a great variation for the deadlifts and can help you in breaking plateaus. It adds resistance as you lift the bar off the floor and reduces it as you return to the starting position.