Lying Leg Curl (Hamstrings) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Hamstrings
Equipment needed: Lying Leg Curl Machine
1. Adjust the machine lever to fit your height and lie face down on the leg curl machine with the pad of the lever on the back of your legs.
2. Keep your torso flat on the bench and make sure your legs are fully stretched. Grab the side handles of the machine. Position your toes straight. This is your starting position.
3. Curl your legs up as far as possible without lifting up from the pad. Exhale while doing this movement. Once you hit the fully contracted position, hold it for a second.
4. Inhale as you lower the legs back to the initial position.
5. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Caution: Do not perform swinging and jerking motions as you perform this exercise. This can risk both lower back injury and also a hamstring injury.
Target Your Hamstring From Different Angles
Using a shoulder-width leg position will target the medial hamstrings. You can train your outer hamstrings by keeping your legs next to each other on the lower leg pad. The inner hamstrings can be worked by having a wider-than-shoulder-width leg position.