Smith Machine Calf Raise (Calves) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Calves
Equipment needed: Smith Machine
1. First make sure to place a block or weight plate below the bar on the Smith machine. Then set the bar to the position that best fits your height. Now load the bar and step onto the plates with the balls of your feet. Place the bar on the back of your shoulders.
2. Hold the bar with both hands facing forward. Rotate the bar so that it is unracked from the smith machine. This is starting position.
3. Push off the balls of your feet to raise your heels as high as possible. Make sure to flex your calf at the top of the contraction. Your knees should remain extended. Hold the contracted position for a second.
4. Breathe in as you return to the starting position by lowering your heels.
5. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Target the Inner and Outer Calves
Your calves consist of three heads, and you can train them using different feet placement. The parallel feet placement primarily targets the medial calves. To target the outer calf heads, stand with your toes together and heels apart (forming an “A”). Forming a “V” by placing your heels together and toes apart will train your inner calf heads.