Barbell Curl (Biceps) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Biceps
Equipment needed: Barbell
1. Stand with your torso upright and hold a barbell at arm’s length with a shoulder-width grip.
2. Grab the barbell with an underhand grip, so your palms are facing forward and pin your elbows to your sides.
3. Exhale and lift the barbell using your forearms while keeping your elbow and upper arms stationary.
4. Curl up the barbell until it is at your shoulder level.
5. Pause and contract your biceps at the top of the movement.
6. Slowly return to the starting position while breathing in.
7. Repeat the movement for the recommended reps.
Target the Inner Head
You should hold the barbell with a wider than shoulder-width grip if you want to target the inner bicep heads.
Target the Outer Head
Holding the barbell with a narrower than shoulder-width grip will target the outer heads. These variations can be used to bring definition and conditioning to your biceps. You should only perform these variations once you have added some muscle mass to your arms.