Bench Press – Medium Grip (Chest) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Chest
Equipment needed: Barbell, Flat Bench
1. Lie down with your back on a flat bench. Grab the barbell with a medium (shoulder-width) grip. In a medium grip, your upper and lower arm should create a 90-degree angle in the middle of the movement.
2. Get in the starting position by unracking the barbell and extending your arms forward so that they are perpendicular to the floor.
3. Take a deep breath and lower the barbell by flexing your elbows until it touches your middle chest.
4. Reverse the motion and push the bar upwards by extending at your elbows while breathing out.
5. Hold and contract your chest at the top of the movement without locking your elbows.
6. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Caution: Be in control of the barbell at all times and don’t bounce the barbell off your chest.
If you’re new to the bench press or are lifting heavier than you usually do, always have someone spot you.
Don’t let the barbell drift too far forward or backward as it can put unnecessary tension on your rotators and can cause an injury. The bar should touch your middle chest and nowhere else.