Bench Press – Wide Grip (Chest) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Chest
Equipment needed: Barbell, Flat Bench
1. Lie down with your back on a flat bench and your feet planted firmly on the floor.
2. Grab the barbell with a pronated (wrists facing forward) grip which is 3-inches away from shoulder-width. At the middle of the movement, your upper and lower arms should form a slightly higher than 90-degree angle.
3. Get into position by unracking the barbell and extending your arms straight forward so that they are perpendicular to the floor.
4. Take a deep breath and lower the barbell by flexing at your elbows so that it touches your middle chest.
5. As you breathe out, reverse the motion by extending your elbows and pushing through your chest.
6. Pause and contract your pecs at the top of the movement without locking out your elbows.
7. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Caution: Be in control of the barbell at all times and don’t bounce the barbell off your chest.
If you’re new to the bench press or are lifting heavier than you usually do, always have someone spot you.
Don’t let the barbell drift too far forward or backward as it can put unnecessary tension on your rotators and can cause an injury. The bar should touch your middle chest and nowhere else.