Calf Raise (Calves) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Calves
Equipment needed: Calf Raise Machine
1. Adjust the pads of the calf raise machine so they are at your middle chest height.
2. Place your shoulders under the pads and place the balls of your feet onto the elevated platform while your heels extend off it.
3. Stand with your feet placed shoulder-width apart and parallel to each other.
4. Push the pads up by extending at your knees and straightening your back. Your knees should be slightly bent throughout the exercise.
5. As you breathe out, rise on your toes until your calves are fully extended.
6. Pause and contract your calves at the top of the movement.
7. Return to the starting position with a slow and controlled motion while breathing in.
8. Your heels should go below the parallel to the floor level at the bottom of the movement.
9. Your calves should stretch both at the top and bottom of the movement.
10. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Target the Inner and Outer Calves
Your calves consist of three heads, and you can train them using different feet placement. The parallel feet placement primarily targets the medial calves. To target the outer calf heads, stand with your toes together and heels apart (forming an “A”). Forming a “V” by placing your heels together and toes apart will train your inner calf heads.