Dumbbell Bench Press (Chest) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Chest
Equipment needed: Dumbbell, Flat Bench
1. Sit on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand placed atop your thighs. Hold the dumbbells with a neutral (palms facing each other) grip at this point.
2. Push the dumbbells up to your shoulder height using your thighs and lie back on the bench. Turn your wrists outwards into a pronated (palms facing forward) grip.
3. Extend your arms forward so that they are perpendicular to the floor.
4. Take a deep breath and lower the weights with a slow and controlled motion. Your forearms should remain perpendicular to the floor throughout the exercise.
5. As you reach the sides of your middle chest, reverse the motion by extending through your elbows and pushing the dumbbells with your pectoral muscles while breathing out.
6. Pause and squeeze your chest at the top of the movement for a couple of seconds.
7. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Target the Pecs From Different Angles
You can train your chest differently by using a neutral (palms facing each other) grip. The neutral grip can help you in focusing on the separation between your pecs. You could also use a supinated (palms facing you) grip to target your lower chest.