Pullups (Lats) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Lats
Equipment needed: None
1. Grab the pull-up bar with a pronated (palms facing forward) grip. Use a wider than shoulder-width grip to target the lats and for building a wide back.
2. While hanging onto the bar, bring your torso back around 30-degrees or so while creating a curvature in your lower back and stick out your chest.
3. While breathing out, pull-up your torso upwards by flexing at your elbows until your upper chest touches the bar. Your elbows should flare out as you perform the pull-up to target your lats.
4. Pause and contract your lats for a couple of seconds as you reach the top of the movement.
5. Return to the starting position while breathing in with a slow and controlled motion.
6. Repeat for the recommended reps.
If you’re a beginner and can’t perform bodyweight pull-ups, you can use a pull-up assist machine or ask a spotter to hold your legs. Advanced lifters can add resistance by using a weighted belt.