Seated Tricep Press (Triceps) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Triceps
Equipment needed: Dumbbell
1. Sit down on a bench with back support and grab a dumbbell with both your hands and hold it overhead at arm’s length.
2. Keep your upper arms close to your head and your elbows pinned throughout the exercise to target your triceps optimally.
3. While breathing in, lower the dumbbell by flexing your elbows until your upper and lower arms form slightly smaller than 90-degree angle. Only your forearms should move while lowering the dumbbell.
4. Your upper arm should remain perpendicular to the floor throughout the exercise.
5. Exhale and reverse the motion by extending your elbows using your triceps.
6. Pause and contract your triceps at the top of the movement.
7. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Standing Tricep Press
You could perform the tricep presses while standing, but it can put unnecessary stress on your back while using heavier weights.
Using a Barbell or Cables
You can target your triceps from different angles by using a barbell or cables to perform the overhead tricep presses. Attach a rope or straight bar to the low cable pulley to put constant tension on your tris throughout the exercise.