Chin-Up (Lats) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Lats
Equipment needed: None
1. Grab the pull-up bar with a supinated (palms facing your body) grip at shoulder-width.
2. As you hang on the bar, keep your torso straight and upright while creating a curvature in your lower back. Stick your chest out as you perform the chin-ups.
3. Exhale and lift your torso until your head is around the level of the pull-up bar. You should be using your biceps to perform the exercise.
4. Flex at your elbows to lift your body and keep them close to your sides. Keep your torso and lower body stationary to target the working muscles efficiently.
5. Pause and contract your lats at the top of the movement.
6. Return to the starting position while breathing in with a slow and controlled movement.
7. Repeat for the recommended reps.
If you’re a beginner and can’t perform bodyweight chin-ups, you can use a chin-up assist machine or ask a spotter to hold your legs. Advanced lifters can add resistance by using a weighted belt.