Clean and Press (Shoulders) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Shoulders
Equipment needed: Barbell
1. Stand with a shoulder-width stance with your shins close to a barbell placed on the floor.
2. While keeping the back flat, push your hips back while maintaining a slight bend in your knees.
3. Grab the barbell with arms fully extended and an overhand grip which is slightly wider than shoulder width. Your knees should be inside your arms.
4. Position the shoulders over or slightly over the barbell. This will be your starting position.
5. Start pulling the bar by extending your knees. Move your hips and shoulders at the same rate while maintaining the angle of the back constant. Lift the barbell straight up while keeping it close to your body.
6. As the bar passes your knees, extend at the ankles, knees, and hips forcefully, similar to a jumping motion. At the same time, continue to guide the bar with your hands shrugging your shoulders and using the momentum from your movement to pull the bar as high as possible.
7. Start to pull yourself under the barbell as you reach maximum elevation when your feet clear the floor.
8. As the bar hits terminal height, rotate your elbows around and under the bar. Rack the bar across the front of your shoulders while keeping the torso erect and flexing the hips and knees to absorb the weight of the bar.
9. Stand with an upright torso, holding the bar in a clean position.
10. Exhale and press the barbell overhead by extending your elbows.
11. While breathing in, lower the bar to your shoulders and back to the floor.
12. Repeat for the recommended reps.