Crunches (Abs) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Abdominal
Equipment needed: None
1. Lie on your back with your feet placed flat on the floor. Place your hands on either side or at the back of your head.
2. Push your lower back into the floor as you lift your shoulders off.
3. Contract your abs and exhale as you roll your shoulders and lift your upper back 4-5 inches off the ground.
4. Hold the position at the top of the movement for a couple of seconds and keep contracting your abdominal.
6. Slowly return to the starting position as you inhale and repeat for the recommended reps.
There are many variations of the crunches you can perform to add resistance and make it harder. You could hold a weight plate or a dumbbell against your chest, place your legs on a flat bench or an exercise ball or perform the crunches on a decline bench to add resistance.