Dumbbell Lunges (Quads) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Quads
Equipment needed: Dumbbells
1. Stand with an upright torso holding a dumbbell in each hand extended at arm’s length.
2. Keep your chest up, shoulders pulled back while maintaining the natural curvature of your spine.
3. Take a step forward with your right leg while breathing in and squat at your hips so that the left knee descends to a point where it is 1-2 inches off the floor. Make sure you maintain an upright torso throughout the exercise.
4. At the bottom of the movement, your right upper leg should be parallel to the floor, and the lower leg should be perpendicular to the floor. The upper left leg should also be perpendicular to the floor at the same time.
5. If your right knee extends beyond the toes, take a longer step to elevate the stress from the knee.
6. Rise to the starting position by pushing through the heel of your right foot bringing it back beside the left foot.
7. Repeat for the recommended repetitions on your right leg before switching to the left.
Alternate Dumbbell Lunge
Instead of performing the lunges on one leg before switching to the other, you could alternate between reps. Maintaining your balance is the key to performing the lunges. If you’re new to lunges, you should start by doing them while holding onto fixed objects like the squat rack.