Dumbbell Squat (Quads) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Quads
Equipment needed: Dumbbells
1. Stand with an upright torso with a dumbbell in each hand extended at arm’s length. Grab the dumbbells with a neutral (palms facing each other) grip.
2. Take a shoulder-width stance, keep your head and chest up, shoulders pulled back and maintain the natural curvature of your spine.
3. Begin to lower yourself after taking a deep breath by bending at your knees and push your hips back. Continue to go down until your hamstrings touch the calves.
4. Reverse the motion once you reach the bottom of the movement by pushing through your heels and extending your knees.
5. Pause, squeeze your quads and exhale at the top of the movement.
6. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Changing Foot Position
Changing your feet position to target your quads from different angles while holding the dumbbells at your sides can feel awkward. Goblet squats are a great alternative for the dumbbell squats as you hold the dumbbell in front of your chest and your legs have higher leverage to move around.