Dumbbell Step Ups (Quads) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Quads
Equipment needed: Dumbbells, Elevated Platform
1. Stand beside a flat bench (or an elevated platform) with an upright torso with a dumbbell in each hand extended at arm’s length.
2. Grab the dumbbells with a neutral (palms facing each other) grip. Keep your head and chest up, shoulders pulled back and maintain the natural curvature of your spine throughout the exercise.
3. Place your right foot on the elevated platform and step onto it by extending at your knee and hip. Use the heel of your right foot to lift the rest of your body up and place the foot of the left leg on the platform as well. Breathe out as you climb onto the platform.
4. Step down with the left leg by flexing at the knee and the hip while breathing in. Return to the starting position by placing the right foot next to the left foot.
5. Repeat for the recommended reps on the right leg and then switch over to the left.
Alternate Dumbbell Step Ups
Instead of performing the step ups on one leg before switching to the other, you could alternate between reps. Maintaining your balance is the key to performing the step ups. If you’re new to the exercise, you should start by doing them with your own bodyweight and progressively move to the weighted (dumbbell or barbell) versions.