Lat Pulldown (Lats) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Lats
Equipment needed: Lat Pulldown Machine
1. Sit down on a lat pulldown machine and secure your legs under the knee pad according to your height.
2. Hold the wide bar with a wider than shoulder-width grip to target your lats. Grab the bar with a pronated (palms facing forward) grip.
3. While holding the bar in front of you with extended arms, bring your torso back around 30-degrees or so while creating a curvature in your lower back and stick your chest out.
4. As you breathe out, bring the bar down by flexing at the elbows, and by bringing your shoulders and upper arms down and back. Keep your torso stationary and do all the movement through your upper arms.
5. Pause and contract your lats when the bar is 1-2 inches away from your upper chest.
6. Return to the starting position with a slow and controlled movement.
7. Repeat for the recommended reps.
Target Lats From Different Angles
There are many ways of training your back while using the lat pulldown machine. You could change your grip on the standard lat pulldown bar to target the back from a different angle. You could also use a different bar altogether.