Leg Extensions (Quads) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Quads
Equipment needed: Leg Extension Machine
1. Select an appropriate weight and sit on the leg extension machine by placing your feet under the pad. The pad should be set so that it is placed right above your ankles.
2. Hold the handles and make sure you set the machine so that your legs form a 90-degree angle between your lower and upper legs. If the angle is under 90-degrees, it can put unnecessary tension on your knees at the bottom of the movement.
3. Using your quadriceps, extend your legs by flexing at your knees while exhaling and keeping the rest of your body stationary.
4. Pause and contract your quads at the top of the movement.
5. Return to the starting position with a slow and controlled motion while breathing in.
6. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Emphasize the Outer Thighs (Abductors)
Narrowing your leg placement on the machine by placing your feet closer than shoulder width will help you in targetting the outer thigs or the quad sweep.
Emphasize the Inner Thighs (Adductors)
Widening your legs more than the normal foot placement will recruit your inner things or adductors.
Unilateral Leg Extensions
You could also perform the leg extensions one leg at a time. The unilateral exercises help in building symmetry and conditioning in your muscles.