Side Lateral Dumbbell Raise (Shoulders) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Shoulders
Equipment needed: Dumbbells
1. Stand with an upright torso with a dumbbell in each hand extended at arm’s length.
2. At the starting position, hold the dumbbells with a neutral grip (palms facing each other) and place the dumbbells against your thighs. Maintain a slight bend in your elbows throughout the movement.
3. Elevate your arms as you breathe out until they are parallel to the floor.
4. Pause and contract your shoulders for a couple of seconds as the dumbbells reach shoulder height.
5. Return to the starting position with a slow and controlled motion while breathing in.
6. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Add Constant Tension
You could perform the side lateral raises using cables by alternating between arms or on a side lateral machine. Using the cables will put constant tension on your deltoids and will help in bringing the definition and conditioning.
Some people use momentum by swinging back and forth while performing the side lateral dumbbell raises. The cheat motion can be eliminated by doing the exercise while sitting on a flat bench.