Barbell Shrug (Traps) – Exercise Guide
Muscles worked: Traps
Equipment needed: Barbell
1. Stand with a shoulder-width stance as you hold a barbell with a pronated (palms facing the thighs) grip.
2. Grab the barbell with a slightly wider than shoulder-wide grip.
3. Maintain an upright torso and a slight bend in your elbows throughout the exercise.
4. Take a deep breath and lift your shoulders as high as you can while keeping your arms extended.
5. Pause and contract your traps at the top of the movement.
6. Return to the starting position while breathing out.
7. Repeat for the recommended repetitions.
Target Your Traps From Different Angles
People with good shoulder mobility can rotate their shoulders in a semicircular motion from front to rear while performing the shrugs. You could also do the exercise while holding the barbell behind your back.