Everything you need to know about Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN Pre-Workout Supplement.
With so many pre-workout supplements on the market, the frustration of making the right choice to boost your training to the next level can be incredibly overwhelming. Transparent Labs LEAN Pre-Workout is one of our focused supplements of 2020 to compare and bring you the best pre-workouts out there.
LEAN pre-workout is one of two that Transparent Labs markets, the other being BULK. While BULK focuses on gaining mass with a blend of amino acids and testosterone support, LEAN is designed for cutting, losing that stubborn belly fat and preventing the loss of lean muscle.
Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN is perfect for those looking to target stubborn belly fat while still maintaining that hard-earned lean muscle. For those looking to slim down and lose weight, look no further than this great pre-workout with quality ingredients at effective dosages.
Transparent Labs prides themselves on transparency and their firm commitment to honest labels and accurate results. With no artificial sweeteners, coloring, or preservatives, LEAN contains clean ingredients at clinically effective doses. This means no hidden formulas and inferior ingredients.
Each and every Transparent Labs product is manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility in Utah that is certified current good manufacturing processes (CGMP) and registered with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Each product batch is third-party tested to ensure safe, high quality products to make your buying experience as easy as possible. Making the smart choice can be difficult, but knowing where the product comes from and what’s inside will ensure you make the best decision for your health and fitness.
Check out where PreSeries LEAN landed on our list of the Best Pre-Workouts!
PreSeries LEAN Highlights
Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN Pre-Workout has 21 active ingredients designed to provide a high-intensity pre-workout experience, while at the same time working to ensure fat loss without draining your energy. With no added colored dyes, fillers, or harmful additives, you can be sure that great taste is coming from natural flavors with help from stevia giving you a sugar-free, vegan friendly pre-workout.
While Transparent Labs’ other pre-workout BULK is designed for bodybuilders and gym-goers to help pack on muscle, enhance blood pumps, and increase strength, LEAN is for those seeking to lose stubborn fat while focusing on the production of lean muscle mass. With their potent Fat Burning and Thyroid Support complex, this pre-workout will show progress in fat loss without destroying those gains in the gym.
Citrulline Malate is the most active ingredient in LEAN and is a staple in pre-workout supplements. It has a great effect on improving strength and muscle endurance (1). Chosen over L-arginine for being more effective, it can enhance the use of leucine (2), a branch chain amino acid, during exercise allowing for a more positive workout. It also has the ability to aid in fatigue and performance during high-interval training, thus improving an athlete’s performance overall (3).
Betaine can trigger muscle growth without the presence of testosterone resulting in increased power, as well as reducing fatigue so as to not disrupt an athlete’s endurance during a workout (4). As a result of this increase in power and reduced fatigue, the total number of reps, as well as weight lifted, increases providing a very advantageous supplement for muscle growth (5).
Branch chain amino acids help trigger muscle protein synthesis and the ratio refers to the amount of each amino acid. In LEAN, every 1,000mg of leucine is matched by 500mg of both isoleucine and valine. Leucine is known to be a strong activator of mTOR, the gene responsible for protein synthesis, and has been found to increase strength and performance (6), as well as prevent the deterioration of lean muscle. Isoleucine and valine work to also promote muscle growth and gives the metabolism a boost to assist with energy.
Often overlooked in other pre-workouts, LEAN incorporates Beta-Alanine for a variety of reasons. It has been shown to increase carnosine levels which can quickly become depleted in workouts (7). During high-intensity training, carnosine helps you to reach peak performance. Beta-alanine will also reduce fatigue and aid in lean muscle mass (8).
L-tyrosine will focus more on your energy and awareness to ensure a good quality workout the entire time. It can reduce the effects of stress and offer greater mental focus (9), as well as improve memory and performance giving you much needed mental assistance.
While the ingredients listed above are a large bulk of what LEAN consists of, other ingredients are present, including: choline bitartrate, L-theanine, caffeine anhydrous, mucuna pruriens, L-norvaline, synephrine, hordenine, BioPerine, chromium, zinc, and guggulsterones. Controlled for quality, all are beneficial to aid in muscle growth, metabolic boosts, energy, and cognitive function.
Many of these additional ingredients aid in your physical growth like choline bitartrate, mucuna pruriens, synephrine, hordenine, and chromium. They all work to promote healthy testosterone levels, increase metabolic rate and energy, and suppress hunger cravings to avoid snacking and keep you full longer in order keep you working out longer and more efficiently (10, 11).
Providing cognitive function and increasing performance, ingredients like L-theanine and caffeine can boost reaction time and attention and boost effort to get more reps and a better, longer-lasting workout (12).
Price and Flavors
LEAN offers many clean ingredients with a boat-load of benefits, but matches it all with a variety of flavors at a fairly decent price point. Flavors include:
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Blue Raspberry
- Sour Grape
- Green Apple
- Tropical Punch
With 30 servings per container with each 1 lbs. tub, LEAN costs $49 making this a reasonably affordable and healthy pre-workout to add to your exercise and dietary regiment.
Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is a member of the Transparent Labs family and spokesman for their products. While most recognizable as “The Mountain” on HBO’s Game of Thrones, he is also the first strongman to win the Arnold Strongman Classic, Europe’s Strongest Man, and World’s Strongest Man in the same year. He adds Transparent Labs’ products to boost his performance and remain elite in the world of strongmen.
Transparent Labs LEAN pre-workout is a great choice to add to your shelf for a number of reasons. The transparent label from a company that prides themselves on transparency offers excellent ingredients with no added sweeteners, coloring, or preservatives. What you are really buying is a product that will give you a high-intensity workout for those focusing on fat loss while also seeking to keep on that lean muscle. With great flavors at an affordable price, LEAN is exactly what you need to bring your workouts to the next level.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
*Images courtesy of Transparent Labs and Hafthor Bjornsson
- Perez-Guisado, Joaquin; Jakeman, Philip M. (2010). “Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness”. (source)
- Sureda, Antoni; Cordova, Alfredo; Ferrer, Miguel D.; Perez, Gerardo; Tur, Josep A.; Pons, Antoni (2010). “L-citrulline-malate influence over branched chain amino acid utilization during exercise”. (source)
- Takeda, Kohei; Machida, Masanao; Kohara, Akiko; Omi, Naomi; Takemasa, Tohru (2011). “Effects of citrulline supplementation on fatigue and exercise performance in mice”. (source)
- Cholewa, Jason M.; Wyszczelska-Rokiel, Monika; Glowacki, Rafal; Jakubowski, Hieronim; Matthews, Tracey; Wood, Richard; Craig, Stuart AS.; Paolone, Vincent (2013). “Effects of betaine on body composition, performance, and homocysteine thiolactone”. (source)
- Trepanowski, John F.; Farney, Tyler M.; McCarthy, Cameron G.; Schilling, Brian K.; Craig, Stuart A.; Bloomer, Richard J. (2011). “The effects of chronic betaine supplementation on exercise performance, skeletal muscle oxygen saturation and associated biochemical parameters in resistance trained men”. (source)
- Mero, A. (1999). “Leucine supplementation and intensive training”. (source)
- Culbertson, Julie Y.; Kreider, Richard B.; Greenwood, Mike; Cooke, Matthew (2010). “Effects of Beta-Alanine on Muscle Carnosine and Exercise Performance Performance: A Review of the Current Literature”. (source)
- Smith, Abbie E.; Walter, Ashley A.; Graef, Jennifer L.; Kendall, Kristina L.; Moon, Jordan R.; Lockwood, Christopher M.; Fukuda, David H.; Beck, Travis W.; Cramer, Joel T.; Stout, Jeffrey R. (2009). “Effects of beta-alanine supplementation and high-intensity interval training on endurance performance and body composition in men; a double-blind trial”. (source)
- Neri, D.F.; Wiegmann, D.; Stanny, R. R.; Shappell, S. A., McCardie, A.; McKay, D. L. (1995). “The effects of tyrosine on cognitive performance during extended wakefulness”. (source)
- Shukla, Kamla Kant; Mahdi, Abbas Ali; Ahmad, Mohammad Kaleem; Jaiswar, Shyam Pyari; Shankwar, Satya Narain; Tiwari, Sarvada Chandra (2010). “Mucuna pruriens Reduces Stress and Improves the Quality of Semen in Infertile Men”. (source)
- Gutierrez-Hellin, Jorge; Del Coso, Juan (2018). Effects of p-Synephrine and Caffeine Ingestion on Substrate Oxidation during Exercise”. (source)
- Hidese, Shinsuke; Ogawa, Shintaro; Ota, Miho; Ishida, Ikki; Yasukawa, Zenta; Ozeki, Makoto; Kunugi, Hiroshi (2019). “Effects of L-Theanine Administration on Stress-Related Symptoms and Cognitive Functions in Healthy Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial”. (source)