Up, up, and away.
Finding the energy to get a workout started can be a daunting task. With so much going on in our lives, sometimes we find ourselves drained heading into a big workout. But a solid pre-workout supplement can take care of that. Supplying quick energy and helping to sustain that energy throughout our workouts is just one of the many benefits a good pre-workout can offer.
The difficulty comes with finding a solid pre-workout supplement in a market so saturated with enough bodybuilding supplements to last a lifetime. Thankfully there are some that really stand out among the rest and provide great benefits from high-quality ingredients made by reputable companies who keep their consumers in mind. Make sure your pre-workout is working wonders for you and don’t get suckered into thinking otherwise.
These 5 pre-workouts are designed to give you high-quality benefits so you see your gains really come to life.
The Top 5 Pre-Workout Supplements That Are Basically Rocket Fuel
- Best Overall: National Bodybuilding Co. Stage Ready Pre-Workout
- Best For Growth: Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK
- Best Formula: Pre Lab Pro
- Best For Intensity: Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged
- Best For Cutting: Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN
Finding the best pre-workout overall that is basically rocket fuel can be challenging but it is out there. With the right ingredients at effective dosages, the effectiveness of these products towards your gains are undeniable.
National Bodybuilding Co. Stage Ready Pre-Workout
National Bodybuilding Co. Stage Ready Pre-Workout is a solid pre-workout supplement designed to enhance levels of strength through a combination of 13 highly researched ingredients. This will boost your training by increasing training capacity and provide for muscle pumps and support muscle-building by delivering nutrients and oxygen into tissues. It will also optimize cellular ATP production to boost overall performance and enhance neurotransmitter synthesis to provide for clean and sustained mental focus.
National Bodybuilding Co. Stage Ready is a great pre-workout to enhance quality muscle pumps, improved stamina, weight loss, and a real boost of energy to elevate performance. With an advanced blend and high-quality ingredients, this pre-workout is perfect for any workout.
- Offers you a full 30-day supply
- The ingredients are naturally sourced, clinically researched, and optimized for results
- It will keep your energy levels high, promote muscle growth, and increase recovery
- Premium priced option
- Only available on their website directly
- Only ships to customers in the United States
Price: $48.00 for 336 grams (30 servings)
Check out our individual review for National Bodybuilding Co. Stage Ready here!
Best For Growth
You want your pre-workout to offer the best chance at muscle growth as possible. With the ability to boost muscle pumps and allow for optimal blood flow, you can really target all your muscle growth needs as effectively as possible.
Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK
Backed by science with clinically effective dosages, Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK is most effective for those looking to increase in size and muscle mass. BULK contains 6,000 mg of citrulline malate, 4,000 mg of beta-alanine, 4,000 mg of BCAAs, and 2,500 mg of betaine to boost your workouts and your muscle growth. BULK will reduce fatigue and increase your energy to give you a more impactful and longer lasting workout.
Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK is backed by science with clinically effective dosages to increase muscle size and mass. This pre-workout is perfect for reducing fatigue, aiding in muscle growth, and boosting energy levels for better overall performance.
- Well-dosed and third party tested to ensure quality ingredients and accuracy
- No artificial ingredients makes this a great all-natural choice
- Premium-priced option
- Some ingredients, like beta-alanine, may be a touch too high while others are a bit low
Price: $49.00 / tub (1.46 lbs. powder)
Check out our individual review for Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK here! Also, use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off!
Finding the right pre-workout really lies in the formula and how effective the blend of ingredients can be. A formula that is tested and scientifically backed will give you the best chance to receive all of the benefits.
Pre Lab Pro
|Stim Or No Stim||Stim|
|Number Of Servings||20|
|Serving Size||1 Scoop|
|Best Way To Take||Mix 1 scoop with 12 oz. water and drink 30 minutes before exercise.|
Pre Lab Pro is the next-gen pre-workout formula designed for all-around strength, speed, stamina, endurance, and recovery. Using nootropic-enhanced caffeine, this provides for smart stimulation for energy, focus, and calm intensity. This revolutionary design targets three key pathways that work in synergy to supercharge workout performance, promote health balance, and accelerate your overall progress. Using premium ingredients, Pre Lab Pro works to optimize the safety and effectiveness of this product so you only see those gains you want most.
- Clean and effective pre-workout made with natural flavors
- Great benefits to strength, speed, stamina, endurance, and recovery
- Nootropic enhanced caffeine for energy and focus
- From a reputable and honest company
- Premium priced option
- Only available directly on their website
Check out our individual review for Pre Lab Pro here!
Best For Intensity
Keeping up the intensity will ensure that your focus and level of alertness never falters. You want the best for your gains and having the right level of intensity will prove to be most effective.
Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged
Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged can increase the performance and intensity of your workout with a high quality pre-workout powder. Pre-Kaged is unmatched in terms of ingredient quality and synthesis of the blend of proteins. Kaged Muscle lab tests every batch to make sure each is fully loaded as advertised — 274 mg pure caffeine, 2 g taurine, 6.5 g fermented BCAAs, 6.5 g pure l-citrulline, and 2 g of their patented betapower blend. It’s an unbeatable combination that is guaranteed to supercharge any workout.
- Contains BCAAs and has well-dosed ingredients
- No artificial colors or flavors, it does compete with other pre-workouts in that regard
- It is pretty pricey
- Does contains sucralose, which is an artificial sweetener
- The caffeine content may be high for those sensitive
Price: $39.99 / box (21 oz powder)
Use code GENIRON10 to save 10%! Check out our individual review for Kaged Muscle Pre-Kaged here!
Best For Cutting
A pre-workout should also work for your weight loss and cutting needs. With proper dosages of the right weight cutting ingredients, mixed with a great training routine and proper diet, your gains are right around the corner for that desired physique.
Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN
The perfect supplement for cutting, Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN is great for those looking to target stubborn fat while keeping on that lean muscle. LEAN contains 6,000 mg of citrulline malate, 2,500 mg of betaine, 2,000 mg of BCAA, 1,500 mg of beta-alanine, and 600 mg of L-tyrosine to improve strength and muscle endurance, reduce fatigue, and improve memory. LEAN is great for those looking to slim down without losing that hard work done in the gym.
Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN is perfect for those looking to target stubborn belly fat while still maintaining that hard-earned lean muscle. For those looking to slim down and lose weight, look no further than this great pre-workout with quality ingredients at effective dosages.
- Well-dosed and third party tested
- All-natural ingredients make this a solid pre-workout for cutting
- Premium priced option
- Does not have the best ingredients for fat loss
- It may be effective for cutting, but depending on your goals, other pre-workouts may work better
Price: $49.00 / tub (1.09 lbs. powder)
Use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Plus, check out our individual review for Transparent Labs PreSeries LEAN here!
Key Benefits Of Pre-Workout
These rocket fuel pre-workouts are perfect for a host of benefits to really give you the best chance at a phenomenal workout. Benefits include:
- Increase physical performance and energy: Provide for longer, more sustained, and higher intensity work (1).
- Prevent fatigue: Keep energy levels high to not feel a mid-workout crash.
- Promote muscle growth and pumps: Increase blood flow, provide for muscle pump, and increase overall strength (2).
- Aid in recovery: Provides for more effective repair and rejuvenation of worn down muscles.
Important Ingredients To Look For In Pre-Workout
There are a few important ingredients to keep an eye out for when it comes to selecting a pre-workout. The right ingredients dosed effectively can work wonders for your gains.
- Caffeine: Can increase energy and focus so you take on any workout that comes your way (3).
- BCAAs: Great for stimulating muscle protein synthesis and will help with post-workout recovery and intra-workout energy and fatigue (4).
- Creatine: Boost overall strength and athletic performance for increased gains (5).
- Beta-Alanine: Helps push past fatigue so your workouts go for longer with more intensity.
- L-Citrulline: Offers good muscle pumps to increase blood flow so you start to see that growth you want most.
How We Choose These Pre-Workouts
When choosing this list, we focused on reputation, ingredients and formula, and overall price. The brand and their respective product should be transparent and honest with their labels. These brands have great reputations and care about the quality of their products. For ingredients and formulas, each product should work effectively while still being safe and the quality and care for your ingredients will prove worthwhile for your health and performance. Lastly, we look at price because we know it can be challenging to find good products at a reasonable price.
What is the best pre-workout for serious gains?
National Bodybuilding Co. Stage Ready Pre-Workout. This pre-workout supplement is designed to enhance levels of strength through a combination of 13 highly researched ingredients. This will boost your training by increasing training capacity and provide for muscle pumps and support muscle-building by delivering nutrients and oxygen into tissues.
Do I really need a pre-workout?
You don’t need a pre-workout but having one on your shelf can really enhance all your gains. You want the best for your workouts and we highly recommend a great pre-workout be in your routine.
Are pre-workouts safe?
While pre-workout supplements are necessarily regulated, the top companies have made it their mission to only give you the best product around. With clean and effective ingredients, pre-workouts are on the whole safe to use. Always read the label to make sure the product is right for you.
Don’t let low energy keep you from an opportunity for a great workout and look to pre-workout supplements for all your gains.. The benefits of a solid pre-workout can work to enhance overall performance, provide muscle pump, aid in recovery, and give you that incredible boost to optimize all aspects of your workouts. These five pre-workouts are great products from very reputable companies who seek nothing but the best for their consumers. Try one of these today and watch your workouts soar to new heights.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
- Ellerbroek, Anya C.; Antonio, Jose (2019). “Effects of Pre-Workout Supplements on Strength, Endurance, and Mood”. (source)
- Kedia, A.; Hofheins, J.; Habowski, S.; Ferrando, Arny; et al. (2014). “Effects of a Pre workout Supplement on Lean Mass, Muscular Performance, Subjective Workout Experience and Biomarkers of Safety”. (source)
- McLellan, Tom M.; Caldwell, John A.; Lieberman, Harris R. (2016). “A review of caffeine’s effects on cognitive, physical and occupational performance”. (source)
- Negro, M.; Giardina, S.; Marzani, B.; Marzatico, F. (2008). “Branched-chain amino acid supplementation does not enhance athletic performance but affects muscle recovery and the immune system”. (source)
- Kreider, Richard B. (2003). “Effects of creatine supplementation on performance and training adaptations”. (source)