Build those bigger biceps for a seriously buff physique with this isolation exercise.
We all want those bigger biceps and know plenty of exercises to help get us there, but one exercise in spider curls may be an elusive one. We all know those popular exercises associated with arm growth being alternating dumbbell curls, concentration curls, barbell curls, and a host of other more popular biceps exercises great for seeing gains. But spider curls have the ability to isolate and really build those bigger, more buff biceps to only aid in that massive physique.
With so many exercises out there, it can often times be hard to choose the right from the wrong- the most efficient one vs. those which will just waste time. But with spider curls, you get an engaging exercise with minimal equipment needed able to provide for a host of gains to make others seriously envy you and your bigger, more buff physique.
Let’s take a look at spider curls and see what this exercise is all about. Form what it is, to muscle worked, the many benefits, and of course, how to perform it, you will be well on your way to seeing those gains you want most. Plus, with the right equipment, there’s no excuse to ever have a bad workout again.
What Are Spider Curls?
Spider curls are an isolation arm exercise with a beginner difficulty level, given the fact it is relatively easy to learn. The only equipment needed is an incline bench and weights, being a barbell or dumbbells. What this exercise can do is really build up strength and size in your biceps, and by isolating them, along with your forearms and other secondary muscles, spider curls give your muscles no choice but to grow. It is best to perform this exercise towards the end of your workout, especially after a heavier lift as this will work to fatigue your muscles further.
The spider curl works your biceps and forearms in a way that gives them no choice but to increase in size. The main muscles worked are your biceps brachii, with your brachioradialis, brachialis and forearm flexors getting great secondary work done. Spider curls work to really isolate these muscles to force them to have extra time under tension for that increased growth.
Benefits Of Spider Curls
The benefits of spider curls are hard to ignore, especially when you place these towards the end of your workout. If you are looking for an effective exercise to provide for serious pumps and efficient gains, then spider curls are the way to go.
Benefits of spider curls include:
- Increase muscle growth: By working with real weight and increased range of motion, your muscles have no choice but to grow, especially with an increased emphasis on fatiguing them (1).
- Better range of motion: Really work for increased time under tension with better range of motion to build muscle and feel like you’re getting great work done (2).
- Build better symmetry: Us bodybuilders need the best in terms of muscle symmetry and by working each muscle on its own, you can play with size and build that perfect physique.
- Effective finisher workout: For those looking to really push growth and bring your muscles to total fatigue, this is an effective finisher workout, especially after a heavier exercise.
- Nice biceps curl variation: This exercise gives you a good excuse to change up the traditional biceps curl exercise.
How To Perform Spider Curls
Here are the steps for performing the spider curl:
- Lay on a bench at an incline of around 45-degrees. Your stomach will be pressed against the backrest and the top of the bench will be around arm-pit height.
- Take a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing forward.
- When ready, bend your elbows and curl the weight towards your shoulders, really giving a good squeeze at the top.
- In a controlled movement, lower back to the starting position.
- Repeat for your desired number of reps.
Featured Equipment For Spider Curls
When it comes to building those massive arms, having the right equipment is imperative and can greatly affect all your gains. With the right dumbbells or barbell, you will effectively work those biceps with the spider curl to build those bigger, more buff biceps.
Best Dumbbells: Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells
Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells offer adjustments from 5-52.5 lbs. with 2.5 increments so you can progress efficiently and have a quality workout. The ability to rapidly switch from one exercise to the next saves you time and space by combining 15 sets of weight into one. The unique dial system works great and totally eliminates the need for many dumbbell sets for better convenience and overall space.
Check out our list of the Best Adjustable Dumbbells for more great products!
Best Barbell: American Barbell 20kg Training Bar
American Barbell 20KG Training Bar is a versatile bar tested and approved for training and competition. The precision ground alloy steel bar shaft is tested through a rigorous process to ensure longevity and excellent whip for optimal performance. A finished hard chrome adds extra durability and corrosion resistance for nice added features. The bar sleeves work to rotate smoothly and this bar is 20kg, 28mm in diameter, and 2,200mm in length. This bar is built to last while providing comfort and longevity for all of your goals.
Check out our list of the Best Barbells for more great lifting products!
Spider curls are the perfect exercise to see increased growth to give you bigger, more buff biceps. At the end of the day, you need an exercise that will be engaging and effective. With so many biceps exercises out there, working to confuse your muscles can be challenging but it is possible. Give spider curls a try and really see how an efficient biceps workout can give you that buff aesthetic others will envy.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
*Images courtesy of Envato
- Mangine, G. (2015). “The effect of training volume and intensity on improvements in muscular strength and size in resistance-trained men”. (source)
- Pinto, R. (2012). “Effect of range of motion on muscle strength and thickness”. (source)