A good protein powder for men can work to increase lean muscle growth by pumping you with vital nutrients.
For those of us men who lift big, taking a protein powder for men is something we absolutely need, for it can increase our lean muscle growth and bulking needs while pumping us with vital nutrients for other things like recovery. While many of us bodybuilders and athletes know that a well-balanced diet can do just that, having the right supplements to boost our gains is equally if not more important. Here is where a good protein powder can come into play, for it will pump you with vital amounts of protein, especially after a workout, to give your body everything it needs to succeed. Don’t neglect your gains and really look for the best when it comes to supplements, especially protein.
Whether it be a vegan or non-dairy protein, or something whey based, there are endless options for you to choose from to fit your diet and lifestyle. Taking in other important factors like weight loss is important as well because your protein powders should absolutely work for you.
We’ve put together a list of the Best Men’s Protein Powders For 2021 to seriously boost all areas of your lean muscle growth and performance. Also aiding in recovery, a good protein powder for men is a must have on your supplement shelf to seriously enhance your gains.
Best Men’s Protein Powders 2021
- Best Protein Powder Overall: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
- Best Whey Meal Replacement: Kaged Muscle Clean Meal
- Best For Bodybuilding: National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan
- Best For Bulk & Size: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Mass Gainer
- Best Whey For Weight Loss: NutraBio Protein Isolate
- Best Vegan Whey Alternative: Kaged Muscle Plantein
- Best Protein Powder For Fast Digesting: Kaged Muscle Micropure Whey Protein Isolate
Best Protein Powder Overall
Finding a good all-around protein powder may seem daunting, but they do exist. With taste, texture, ingredients, and effectiveness, you can get the best of all worlds with Transparent Labs, an amazing whey protein.
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
|Sugar||Less than 1g|
|Flavors||Cinnamon Pastry, Mocha, French Vanilla, Cookies ‘N Cream, Milk Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cereal Splash, Strawberry, Salted Caramel|
|Number Of Servings||30|
Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate boasts an impressive array of eco-friendly accomplishments as a solid protein powder for men to boost lean muscle growth. It’s organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free. There are no artificial sweeteners — a rarity in a world full of whey protein powder, which are almost always filled with chemical flavorings to disguise the chalkiness of protein. There are also no artificial colorings or preservatives added. If you have a sensitive stomach, allergies, or just care about the environment, this is an excellent choice for you and your body weight goals and is easy to digest compared to a whey concentrate.
Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate is organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free, boasting a great formula for a top protein powder. With nothing artificial added, this is a clean protein that is easier on your stomach.
- No artificial ingredients and a transparent label
- Third party tested
- Organic and non-GMO grass fed whey low in calories, carbs, and fat
- Good choice for those who tend to be sensitive to certain protein supplements
- Contains essential amino acids and other vital nutrients
- Right amount of protein per scoop per serving for bulking
- Slightly high in carbs and cholesterol
- Despite lactose, their are no digestive enzymes
- Premium priced product but it is one of the best protein powders
Use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Check out our individual review for Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate here!
Best Whey Meal Replacement
For those of us on-the-go constantly, looking to a powerful meal replacement can be a game changer for nutrition. Our busy lives deserve the best nutrients possible and Kaged Muscle certainly delivers with Clean Meal.
Kaged Muscle Clean Meal
|Flavors||Snickerdoodle, Vanilla Cake|
|Best Way To Take||Mix 2 scoops with 10-12 ounces of cold water.|
Kaged Muscle Clean Meal is for those active individuals who want to prioritize nutrition while still getting a complete and convenient meal for those on-the-go needs. With whole food ingredients and 21 organic vitamins and minerals, this meal replacement has 123% better amino absorption to help build muscle and strength while also keeping you full throughout the day. Fueled with a formula including whey isolate, clean carbs, BCAAs, MCT oil, and zero added sugar, this meal replacement is perfect for fueling athletic performance while providing for a protein rich option for weight loss, digestion, recovery, and other nutritional needs.
- Whole food ingredients for optimal nutrients
- 21 organic vitamins and minerals
- Quick and nutritious meal replacement
- $2.25 per meal with quality protein
- Slightly low on number of servings
Use code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Also, check out our individual review for Kaged Muscle Clean Meal here!
Best For Bodybuilding
Those of us bodybuilders know exactly what it takes to succeed in this grueling sport. Having a company like National Bodybuilding Co. gear their products towards our specific needs is beyond beneficial for our bodybuilding progress.
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan
|Number Of Servings||20|
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan Protein is designed to help bodybuilders progress faster in the gym and with their vegan goals as a stellar protein powder for men. A 100% natural and organic plant-based protein, this works to increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis, optimize nutrient utilization, boost metabolic efficiency, and enhance athletic recovery. Using organic rice and pea protein, this supplement does not produce inflammation and is more bioavailable than dairy. With 117 calories and 20.5 grams of protein, this powder will work for your overall protein benefit as it helps you adopt a healthy lifestyle and nutrition plan while building muscle and providing amino acids from a protein shake.
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan is designed for bodybuilders to hit their goals faster. A 100% natural and organic powder, this will work for a number of benefits like muscle growth and recovery, as well as enhancing overall performance.
- 100% organic and naturally flavored with stevia being low in calories, carbs, and fat
- Low in calories, high in nutrients while being a plant based protein
- Designed for cleaner and faster absorption for better lean muscle growth and bulking
- Manufactured to FDA standards and produced by a reputable company
- Helps you lose weight and keep muscle while being easy to digest with quality protein
- Only 20 servings per container for this plant based protein
- Can only get it from their website directly
- Chocolate is the only flavor
Check out our individual review for National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep here!
Best For Bulk & Size
Finally, what we’ve all been waiting for. Transparent Labs has a great mass gainer to really increase your strength and size as you look to bulk. That is why you grind in the gym after all, right?
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Mass Gainer
|Flavors||Chocolate, Cookies ‘N Cream, Sweet Vanilla, Chocolate Glaze|
|Number Of Servings||15|
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Mass Gainer is loaded with everything you need to enhance lean muscle growth to safely and efficiently pack on muscle and healthy weight. This supplement is great for the perfect meal replacement, or a great weight gainer protein supplement to pair with a workout. The pure formulas included with this supplement provide amazing benefits for not only growth and bulking needs, but your overall health and wellness. Mass Gainer offers 53 grams of protein per serving, which is derived from 100% Grass-Fed Whey Concentrate. At 750 calories for two scoops, you get 12 grams of fat and 109 grams of clean and natural carbs derived from organic tapioca, oat, and sweet potato sources.
- Great for lean muscle growth and bulking
- Perfect for a meal replacement or paired with a protein supplement
- Great ingredients and nutrients and no artificial additives
- Transparent label for honesty and clean muscle building
- From a reputable company in Transparent Labs and a high quality protein
- A premium priced option
- Only available directly through their site
Use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Check out our individual review for Transparent Labs Mass Gainer here!
Best Whey For Weight Loss
While many of us want to bulk, it is important to have an option for weight loss and proper nutrition as well. Protein powders are unique in that, yes, they can bulk us up, but also slim us down with the right formula like NutraBio’s.
NutraBio Protein Isolate
|Sugar||Less than 1g|
|Flavors||Miss American Pie, Dutch Chocolate, Alpine Vanilla, Strawberry Ice Cream, Bourbon Banana Nut, Chocolate Peanut Butter Bliss, Cinnamon Sugar Donut, Blueberry Muffin, Pancakes and Maple Syrup, Raw Unflavored, Ice Cream Cookie Dream, Root Beer Float|
|Number Of Servings||29.2|
This 100% whey isolate from NutraBio is the ultimate powder to provide fast acting support, repair, and recovery while also working to promote muscle protein synthesis, encourage optimal nitrogen retention, and really enhance lean muscle growth so you see those huge gains come to life. A 100% transparent label ensures no banned fillers or additives ruin this product and honestly shows no soy, lactose, gluten, or hormones are in this protein. Packed with 25g of protein, this supplement contains 0g fat, 1g carbs, and sits at just 100 calories, conducive for any diet. This protein isolate is gram for gram the purest form of protein available and you won’t find any banned substances to harm you. A full profile of only the best ingredients, this clean, honest, and fast digesting protein is a perfect protein powder for men.
- Great tasting and fast acting whey isolate to support recovery, repair, and bulking
- 100% transparent label unlike many whey protein powders for muscle building
- Great ingredients like 5g BCAAs and 4g Glutamine
- From a reputable and trusted company in NutraBio
- Some flavors do contain sucralose and acesulfame potassium
Check out our individual review for NutraBio Whey Protein Isolate here!
Best Vegan Whey Alternative
Plant-based options are huge, especially for those of us sensitive to dairy or on a vegan diet looking for a good post workout supplement with a value on nutrition. National Bodybuilding Co. sought the best approach with this powder to not sacrifice any gains to your strength and recovery.
Kaged Muscle Plantein
|Flavors||Peanut Butter Cookie, Banana Bread, Cinnamon Roll|
|Number Of Servings||15|
Kaged Muscle Plantein Premium Vegan Protein is a great plant-based protein powder for those looking for a clean, fully disclosed, and naturally flavored supplement. This protein builds muscle like whey without the dairy and is 300% absorption so all those nutrients hit you harder. With superior taste, texture, and mixability, this protein is made with MCT oil and provides a complete profile of EAAs and BCAAs. Being soy, dairy, lactose, and gluten free, this is a great pure plant-based option for athletes of all types.
- Clean, fully disclosed, and naturally flavored
- 300% better absorption
- Soy, dairy, lactose, and gluten free
- Great tastes with natural flavors
- Could have more servings per container
Check out our individual review for Kaged Muscle Plantein here!
Best Protein Powder For Fast Digesting
The benefit of protein powders are that they hit your body fast to give you all those nutrients post workout. Kaged Muscle knows how important this is and wanted to create a supplement to boost all areas of your gains by giving you the best for fast digesting whey protein powder.
Kaged Muscle Micropure Whey Protein Isolate
|Flavors||Coffee Latte, Cinnamon French Toast, Chocolate Peanut Butter, S’mores, Chocolate, Vanilla|
|Best Way To Take||Mix 1 scoop with 5-8oz. of cold water or your favorite beverage.|
Kaged Muscle Micropure Whey Protein Isolate is perfect for anyone looking to build muscle with a fast-digesting, pure, whey protein isolate. With 25g of 100% whey protein isolate, this powder has increased protein absorption thanks to a digestive enzyme technology used to enhance all of these nutrients so they hit you better. This protein is perfect for those looking to amplify muscle recovery and lean muscle growth and is naturally flavored with an amazing taste. A premium quality and well formulated whey isolate, this is a great protein powder for men for those fast-digesting needs.
Kaged Muscle Micropure Whey Protein Isolate is great for those looking to build muscle from a fast-digesting and pure protein. With an enhanced digestive enzyme technology, all those nutrients hit you harder to amplify muscle growth and recovery.
- Fast-digesting with increased absorption for better bulking post workout
- 25g of 100% whey isolate and other nutrients
- Naturally flavored whey protein powder
- Premium priced whey protein powder
Use code GENIRON10 for 10% off!
Benefits Of Protein Powders
What a protein powder can do is aid in all areas of your physical and mental wellbeing by pumping you with protein and other valuable nutrients to aid in your overall health and performance. From things like lean muscle growth, recovery, and weight loss, a high-quality protein powder can work real wonders for your gains.
Benefits of protein powders include:
- Great source of protein: Protein powders tend to be packed with protein to give you a serious protein boost. A simple and convenient way to get protein, you can’t go wrong with a great shake that is sourced from whey or something more plant-based.
- Serious muscle growth: Since protein is essential for muscle growth, having a powder that gives you a serious boost of protein can work wonders for all your bulking and lean muscle growth needs (1).
- Enhanced recovery: Protein not only enhances growth but can help repair those damaged muscles. With a top tier protein powder, your recovery goals are right around the corner (2).
- Help keep you full: These can help keep you full since protein does a great job with that. It will eliminate your desire to snack and help curb hunger by pumping you with other nutrients.
- Aid in weight loss: By keeping you more full and curbing hunger, it will help with weight loss and enhance all those goals so you see that desired physique unfold (3). This can also help with your body composition as well.
- Added nutritional benefits: Protein powders contain other vital nutrients that will help you function and can work wonders when it comes to bettering your overall health and wellness.
One of the decisions you as the consumer have to make is what types of protein source you want for your protein powder. With so many to choose from it can be slightly overwhelming. But think about your goals and what you want most out of a good powder to really maximize the effects so your gains never falter with many types of protein.
- Whey Isolate
A more filtered form of whey, this will limit the amount of carbs and fat so you get little to none. An increased and almost pure source of protein, this is a great kind to keep on that lean muscle while looking to lose weight (4).
- Whey Concentrate
This form gives you a healthy ratio of macronutrients while still pumping you with a large amount of protein. This is a great choice for those bulking up and looking for an increase in strength and size (5).
- Pea Protein
A great plant-based option from yellow peas, pea protein offers a complete profile of essential amino acids (EAAs) and will give you great benefits to lean muscle growth and recovery.
- Brown Rice Protein
With a high amount of BCAAs, this will really give you a great boost to lean muscle growth and recovery. A source that tends to not have any irritants, it offers a clean source of protein (6).
- Soy Protein
Another source with a complete profile of amino acids and protein per serving, this source is great for fueling muscle protein synthesis. It does work best when paired with other sources of protein.
Other Non-Dairy Sources
- Chia Seeds
- Sunflower Seed
- Pumpkin Seed
Safety & Effectiveness Of Protein Powders
Protein powders are safe to consume and will be highly effective as you seek the best for your goals. Taking a protein supplement 15-60 minutes after your workout will allow for all those vital nutrients to really work on your behalf as you seek the best for your training and performance goals. By investing in high quality protein powders, you won’t be disappointed with the results.
How We Choose
When it came to choosing this list, we look at the best protein powders for men and ones that would really work to optimize both growth and recovery, as well as a host of other benefits these whey and non-dairy proteins can offer. We first looked at each brand and studied the ingredients, their reliability, and their mission. A good brand will work for you and the product you take should have a reputable company backing it. By focusing on the ingredients and the process which the product is made, we got a good sense for just how reliable and trustworthy each of these brands are. We know that supplements can be expensive but it is possible to find the right supplements at affordable prices so you get the best tasting products around while still saving money for other things you love with the right protein intake.
FAQ Section For Protein Powders
What is the best protein powder for men?
Performance Lab SPORT Protein. This protein is much cleaner than other protein powders out there. Being a brown-rice protein powder, anyone can use it for lean muscle growth and weight loss for this powder contains great ingredients. Regardless of whether you’re dairy intolerant, vegan, allergic to soy or gluten, Performance Lab Protein can be easily included in your diet at all times, whether you’re cutting or bulking.
How do vegan protein powders stack up against whey supplements?
Vegan and non-dairy supplements are great products especially when compared to whey. While whey tends to be the protein source most focused on, non-dairy sources have the potential to offer the same benefits while being great options for those sensitive to dairy or looking for a vegan option conducive to their lifestyle.
Check out our list of the Best Non-Dairy Protein Powders for great plant-based protein options!
Do I really need to take a protein supplement?
Taking a protein powder is totally up to you but for the benefits, it would be wise to take one. For those who work hard in the gym, a protein powder is perfect for giving you the best when it comes to your goals. For those looking to gain weight or increase lean muscle growth, a protein powder also serves as a great snacking option.
When is the best time to take one?
It is best to take a protein supplement in the window of 15-60 minutes after your workout. This will ensure all those vital nutrients hit your body so you don’t suffer any loss to your gains and continue bulking.
Finding the best protein powder for men can be tough, but this list will hopefully help make that choice just a bit easier. A protein supplement has the ability to change all areas of your health and wellness, as well as training and performance and should not be an overlooked supplement for cutting or bulking. For the many benefits and great companies producing awesome powders, you should definitely consider putting a protein powder on your shelf for those post-workout needs. Check out our list above and see which supplement can work wonders for you.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
- Pasiakos, Stefan M.; McLellan, Tom M.; Lieberman, Harris R. (2015). “The effects of protein supplements on muscle mass, strength, and aerobic and anaerobic power in healthy adults: a systematic review”. (source)
- Pasiakos, Stefan M.; Lieberman, Harris R.; McLellan, Tom M. (2014). “Effects of protein supplements on muscle damage, soreness and recovery of muscle function and physical performance: a systematic review”. (source)
- Leidy, Heather J.; Clifton, Peter M.; Astrup, Arne; Wycherley, Thomas P.; et al. (2015). “The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance”. (source)
- Pal, Sebely; Ellis, Vanessa; Dhaliwal, Satvinder (2010). “Effects of whey protein isolate on body composition, lipids, insulin and glucose in overweight and obese individuals”. (source)
- Tipton, Kevin D.; Elliott, Tabatha A.; Cree, Melanie G.; Wolf, Steven E.; et al. (2004). “Ingestion of Casein and Whey Proteins Result in Muscle Anabolism after Resistance Exercise”. (source)
- Kalman, Douglas S. (2014). “Amino Acid Composition of an Organic Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Isolate Compared to Soy and Whey Concentrates and Isolates”. (source)