These non-dairy, plant-based protein supplements are perfect to build muscle and boost weight loss.
When it comes to a protein supplement we all know we need one, but non-dairy and plant-based products are perfect for that lean protein source while still allowing us to build muscle and promote weight loss. The vegan lifestyle is more popular than ever and that means there are a lot more plant-based supplements on the market.
If you follow the vegan lifestyle then your reasons for avoiding dairy-based whey protein are obvious. But you don’t even have to be vegan to opt for a plant protein. For many people, it’s better on the stomach and ideal for those with dairy sensitivities in general. Now, many people may be skeptical about the completeness of plant-based protein sources. But you can rest assured; the products we’ve chosen contain complete protein sources.
This list of the Best Non-Diary Protein Supplements is perfect for all of your goals, whether it be to build muscle, promote weight loss, or continue to pack on that muscle with lean protein.
Best Non-Dairy Protein Supplements For 2021
- Best Non-Dairy Protein Overall: Enhanced Labs Protein-Tech
- Best For Strength Athletes: National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan Protein
- Best Vegan Protein Powder To Replace Whey: Performance Lab SPORT Protein
- Best Tasting Vegan Protein: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan
- Best Pure Plant-Based Protein: Kaged Muscle Plantein
Best Non-Dairy Protein Overall
Non-dairy proteins are perfect for those looking for a more plant-based option. Without the worry of dairy, you can maximize your gains with a great vegan option while still getting top tier ingredients.
Enhanced Labs Protein-Tech
|Number Of Servings||20|
Enhanced Labs Protein-Tech is a whey-free protein supplement made from grass-fed bovine bone broth protein that is free of GMOs, soy, dairy, and artificial ingredients. Each scoop delivers 20g protein and zero carbs and fat. The grass-fed bovine bone broth is the most full spectrum collagen source in the form of a convenient nutritional powder to deliver the highest quality protein source. Also containing prebiotics, this protein allows for better digestion to not upset your stomach and let all of these nutrients hit you hard for better support.
- Zero carbs and fat and plenty of protein
- Natural prebiotic derived from chicory root
- Great flavor
- From a reputable company in Enhanced Labs
- Could have more BCAAs
Check out our individual review for Enhanced Labs Protein-Tech here!
Best For Strength Athletes
Those strength athletes looking for a great non-dairy protein should fear not. With the right amount of quality protein, you are able to tackle any and all of your protein needs while still building strength.
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan Protein
|Number Of Servings||20|
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan Protein is a premiere product from a company with a focus for bodybuilders to experience the true power of plant based nutrition while also boosting all of their physique goals. Designed to maximize gains while also reducing body fat, this protein has a high quality formula to reduce bloating and help digestion. A lean and clean protein, this will really work to enhance protein synthesis for optimal muscle building. With 20.5 grams of protein in each serving, this top tier vegan protein is sure to keep you full and seeing great gains with high-quality lean protein.
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan is designed for bodybuilders to hit their goals faster. A 100% natural and organic powder, this will work for a number of benefits like muscle growth and recovery, as well as enhancing overall performance.
- 100% organic and naturally flavored
- Designed for cleaner and faster absorption
- From a reputable company who meets all standards
- 20 servings is a touch low
- Only available directly from their website
- Chocolate is the only flavor
Check out our individual review for National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep here!
Best Vegan Protein Powder To Replace Whey
While plant-based proteins are great for replacing whey, there are those that stand out among the rest. With the same benefits using plant sources, you can get a clean and well-rounded powder for all your needs.
Performance Lab SPORT Protein
|Number Of Servings||20|
Performance Lab SPORT Protein comes in as one of the world’s cleanest and most effective protein powders around. Made with organic brown rice protein, it enhances strength, growth, and performance by performing as effective as whey while also being vegan friendly and a great lean protein source. The ultramodern design allows for quality, cleanliness, and taste with no added synthetic processing or flavors. Clinically shown to be as effective as whey, this protein will work to enhance all aspects of your performance while also supporting natural appetite control and weight management. Naturally flavored and sweetened, you can be sure this great tasting protein is only working for your benefit.
- Good, clean formula
- Organic and vegan friendly
- Great ingredients and benefits
- Amazing taste
- Only uses single source protein
- Chocolate is the only flavor
- Only available directly from their website
Check out our individual review for Performance Lab SPORT Pre here!
Best Tasting Vegan Protein
Taste matters and your protein powder should be enjoyable. With natural flavors, you can have that great taste without any harmful additives to ruin a great product.
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan
|Flavors||French Vanilla, Chocolate|
|Number Of Servings||30|
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan is a 100% vegan and protein free of artificial flavors and sweeteners that is USDA Organic Certified. With a protein base ratio of 2:1 rice to pea protein, this packs a punch with 24 grams of protein that is easy on your digestive system. With 4 grams of fiber per serving, this protein will help you feel full longer for optimal weight control and management. Free of all artificial coloring, additives, and preservatives, this is one vegan protein you can trust from a company who prides themselves on transparent and honest labels. This is great for vegans but also anyone looking to really optimize their overall health with lean protein.
- No artificial ingredients and transparent label
- Very low carb and high protein
- Easy on your digestive system
- Premium priced option
- Only available directly from their website
Use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Also, check out our individual review for Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan here!
Best Pure Plant-Based Protein
A pure plant-based protein is awesome because it ensures quality gains with awesome ingredients. A clean source of protein will work to maximize your performance but also your overall health.
Kaged Muscle Plantein
|Flavors||Peanut Butter Cookie, Banana Bread, Cinnamon Roll|
|Number Of Servings||15|
Kaged Muscle Plantein Premium Vegan Protein is a great plant-based protein powder for those looking for a clean, fully disclosed, and naturally flavored supplement. This protein builds muscle like whey without the dairy and is 300% absorption so all those nutrients hit you harder. With superior taste, texture, and mixability, this protein is made with MCT oil and provides a complete profile of EAAs and BCAAs. Being soy, dairy, lactose, and gluten free, this is a great pure plant-based option for athletes of all types.
- Clean, fully disclosed, and naturally flavored
- 300% better absorption
- Soy, dairy, lactose, and gluten free
- Great tastes with natural flavors
- Could have more servings per container
Non-Dairy & Plant-Based Protein Vs. Whey Protein
When it comes to the differences between vegan protein and whey protein, the evidence seems to point to them being fairly equivalent. When it comes to things like changes in body composition, weight loss, muscle growth, and recovery, both proteins seem to get the job done, which is great to hear. Other studies and ideas around these two seem to suggest that while plant-based proteins don’t offer any extra advantages, there are no disadvantages either (1), making this a very solid option for those seeking a non-dairy approach. This means you don’t lose out on any gains simply because you choose a non-whey product.
But one nutrient to be mindful of is B12 which is an essential vitamin for cell and DNA health. Plant-based diets often lack sufficient amounts so B12 fortified products are always recommended. Otherwise, supplementation is important if you cannot get enough through plant sources so that is something to keep in mind.
Benefits Of Non-Dairy Protein Supplements
Like all protein supplements, non-dairy proteins can pack you with all that protein while still giving you some plant-based love. The benefits of these protein supplements can greatly enhance your gains and offer the chance to see progress in your health and fitness journey.
- Aid in valuable growth: We all seek that valuable muscle growth so look to non-dairy proteins to still achieve that much desired increase in strength and size.
- Enhance recovery: Work to recover and support muscle recovery with fast-acting and effective protein sources to aid in growth and to bounce back faster.
- Reduce digestive stress: Protein sources with whey tend to cause digestive stress in those sensitive so eliminate that bloated feeling and work to help yourself.
- Promote weight loss: Don’t waste caloric space and work to lose or maintain that weight so your desired physique becomes reality.
- Add variety to your diet: Non-dairy alternatives offer great vitamins and minerals to enhance your health and wellness so look to achieve proper nutrient intake with a great plant-based product.
- Environmentally friendly: Use less water, fuel, and land than with animal proteins and be more environmentally friendly and ethical.
Key Sources Of Plant-Based Proteins
The many different plant-based sources of protein all have something unique to offer regarding their nutrient profile. We’ve listed the more common protein sources you’ll find in most supplements and all have great potential to build muscle, aid in weight loss, and boost your other top goals with a lean protein source.
Made from yellow peas, this source of protein is one of the more common ones. One study found no statistical difference between pea and whey protein regarding the muscle and strength-building benefits. Therefore, pea is a very viable source of protein, although it contains 8 out of 9 essential amino acids (2). And another study showed a decrease in blood pressure for both rats and humans when taking pea protein supplements (3).
- Brown Rice
One study compared rice protein and whey protein by giving 24 young, resistance-trained males 48g of either source for 8 weeks along with a training plan (4). Well, there were no differences whatsoever, and both forms of protein elicited the same results. So, brown rice is a powerful protein source, although, it’s still one amino acid (lysine) short of being complete.
Soy is the most commonly used source of plant-based protein which comes from the soybean. Now, not all plant-based proteins are complete sources. But soy actually contains all nine essential amino acids which are the building blocks of human tissue (5). That’s why many prefer to have a soy source, plus there is also heart health, obesity, and even menopause benefits from consuming soy. Popular soy food items for vegetarians and vegans include tofu and Tempeh but soy is also a viable plant-based meat alternative (6).
- Chia Seed
Chia seeds are the richest plant source of omega 3 fatty acids which are necessary for heart health and cell membrane health. However, chia seeds contain the plant-based fatty acids linoleic and alpha-linolenic (ALA) which are not sufficient alone. We also need plenty of the fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (7). Chia also has plenty of protein and fiber too, while containing all nine essential amino acids. But research also suggests chia seeds can stave off illness which is enough reason alone to include them in your diet (8).
Other Potential Plant-Based Protein Sources
- Hemp: Has moderate levels of protein but is packed with fiber for a real boost to digestive health.
- Sunflower Seed: A new form, it has BCAAs to offer the benefits of quality protein and is combined with others to optimize effectiveness.
- Pumpkin Seed: High in antioxidants, it also contains good protein and fats with many other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Sprouts: Highly nutritious and are popular for their protein content and many essential amino acids.
How We Choose
When it comes to choosing a great non-dairy protein source, we look to many options to really boost your gains. For this list, we sought the best products in a number of categories including quality of the product, reputation of the brand, effectiveness of the ingredients, and the price. Your product and the brand representing it should be a reflection of what you want to put into your body. These companies on this list work hard to produce great products to boost all of your gains. With top tier ingredients that are GMO-free, these powders are effective and will work to boost all areas of your muscle growth, recovery, weight loss needs, and lifestyle changes. We know how expensive a protein supplement can be so we sought to find the best products at the right price. You can still have a top ranked powder without totally breaking the bank.
What is the best non-dairy protein?
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan Protein. This protein is a premiere product with the true power of plant based nutrition while also boosting all of their physique goals. Designed to maximize gains while also reducing body fat, this protein has a high-quality formula to reduce bloating and help digestion. A lean and clean protein, this will really work to enhance protein synthesis for optimal muscle building so you build muscle effectively.
Are organic protein powders better to use than non-organic?
Like anything, those that are organic don’t use pesticides or anything involved with the actually processing. Organic products may have better nutritional value so it is best to consider that and look for a powder you know is GMO-free and can enhance your goals to build muscle and promote weight loss.
Can I use a vegan protein powder if I’m not vegan?
Plant-based and vegan protein powders can be used by anyone. For those with dairy sensitivities, or for those who just want to avoid dairy, a non-dairy protein is a great option for you to still get all the benefits of a lean protein without the potential stomach problems or discomfort. Plus, added benefits like being GMO-free are great for your overall health.
Will I lose out on gains if I use a plant-based powder over whey?
Plant-based powders tend to have similar traits to those whey products so you will not lose any gains. For those looking to build muscle and aid in those weight loss goals, while also enhancing recovery, you can’t go wrong with a non-dairy and lean protein.
Non-dairy and plant-based proteins are great sources of lean protein to help build muscle and aid in your weight loss goals. While whey protein tends to be more popular, there are a host of reasons why someone would use a vegan protein as opposed to a whey product. With similar benefits and no real obvious disadvantages, having a non-dairy protein in your diet can add variety and shake things up for the better. Check out a good plant-based protein powder today and see what it can do for all your goals.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
- Lynch, Heidi; Johnston, Carol; Wharton, Christopher (December 1, 2018). “Plant-Based Diets: Considerations for Environmental Impact, Protein Quality, and Exercise Performance”. Nutrients. 10 (12). doi:10.3390/nu10121841. ISSN 2072-6643. PMC 6316289. PMID 30513704.
- Babault, Nicolas; Païzis, Christos; Deley, Gaëlle; Guérin-Deremaux, Laetitia; Saniez, Marie-Hélène; Lefranc-Millot, Catherine; Allaert, François A. (2015). “Pea proteins oral supplementation promotes muscle thickness gains during resistance training: a double-blind, randomized, Placebo-controlled clinical trial vs. Whey protein”. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 12 (1): 3. doi:10.1186/s12970-014-0064-5. ISSN 1550-2783. PMC 4307635. PMID 25628520.
- Li, Huan; Prairie, Natalie; Udenigwe, Chibuike C.; Adebiyi, Abayomi P.; Tappia, Paramjit S.; Aukema, Harold M.; Jones, Peter J. H.; Aluko, Rotimi E. (September 28, 2011). “Blood pressure lowering effect of a pea protein hydrolysate in hypertensive rats and humans”. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 59 (18): 9854–9860. doi:10.1021/jf201911p. ISSN 1520-5118. PMID 21854068.
- Joy, Jordan M; Lowery, Ryan P; Wilson, Jacob M; Purpura, Martin; De Souza, Eduardo O; Wilson, Stephanie MC; Kalman, Douglas S; Dudeck, Joshua E; Jäger, Ralf (June 20, 2013). “The effects of 8 weeks of whey or rice protein supplementation on body composition and exercise performance”. Nutrition Journal. 12: 86. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-12-86. ISSN 1475-2891. PMC 3698202. PMID 23782948.
- Boston, 677 Huntington Avenue; Ma 02115 +1495‑1000 (August 6, 2018). “Straight Talk About Soy”. The Nutrition Source. Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- Montgomery, Kristen S. (2003). “Soy Protein”. The Journal of Perinatal Education. 12 (3): 42–45. doi:10.1624/105812403X106946. ISSN 1058-1243. PMC 1595159. PMID 17273351.
- “Essential Fatty Acids”. Linus Pauling Institute. April 28, 2014.
- Boston, 677 Huntington Avenue; Ma 02115 +1495‑1000 (March 19, 2018). “Chia Seeds”. The Nutrition Source.