Can this bring you closer to your goals?
We often look for those healthy snacks and good alternatives to munch on during the day but often times fail to see that certain foods, like Greek yogurt, are exactly what we need. Too often do we escape to carbs or protein bars for those quick on the go treats. And yes, these will pump us with valuable nutrients while also balancing out our macronutrients, but are they really the best option? Finding the right snack, meal, or ingredient is difficult but it doesn’t have to be.
The benefit to Greek yogurt is that you can use it for a host of different functions. For those who want something light in the morning, mix it with fruit and granola for an easy breakfast with no hassle or clean-up. Need a quick bite pre- or post-workout? Don’t hesitate to grab a Greek yogurt and see what can happen. The best part is that you can add Greek yogurt to a smoothie for a thicker consistency. All of your bases are covered.
Let’s take a look at Greek yogurt and see what this is all about. Most of us have had it before but probably don’t realize just how great this food can be. We’ll talk what it is, benefits, the difference from regular yogurt, and how this can affect your bodybuilding goals for the better. With the results, this is definitely something to place in your routine.
What Is Greek Yogurt?
Greek yogurt is produced by taking out whey and other liquids that regular yogurt contains. This makes Greek yogurt thicker since most of the liquid is removed. As a cultured dairy product, this is made by converting lactose into lactic acid through certain bacteria. It is high in protein, calcium, and nutrients, while being low in fat, a popular reason people gravitate towards Greek yogurt.
Difference Between Greek Yogurt & Regular Yogurt
Aside from the process of how it is made, the benefit to Greek yogurt is the amount of protein you get versus regular yogurt. Both are good sources of nutrients and contain vitamins and minerals to help you greatly. But by reducing the whey content in Greek yogurt, this lessens the amount of sugar and carbs, thus putting an emphasis on protein, which is what we as bodybuilders want.
Benefits Of Greek Yogurt
The benefits of Greek yogurt are hard to ignore and can benefit you when it comes to training, performance, health, and wellness. Benefits of Greek yogurt include:
- High in protein: Being high in protein, this will help keep you full and aid in weight loss. Also, with protein as the building block of all muscle, you give yourself a better chance at increased growth and recovery.
- Good source of probiotics: This allows for a solid ratio of good bacteria to other bacteria to improve blood lipid levels, reduce damage, and assist in recovery. It also promotes digestive health and can help give your metabolism a boost.
- Quality calcium: A great source of calcium, this allows you to improve bone and joint strength while never suffering a deficiency of this vital mineral.
- Aid in weight loss: By working to keep you full, this allows for less snacking and can kill those unwanted cravings. For those looking to drop fat, this is a great option to mix into your diet.
- Versatile food: This is a versatile food and is perfect to use for a meal, especially breakfast, or a snack anytime of the day. Plus, it is an added ingredient in things like smoothies that can add consistency and allow you to reap all the benefits.
How To Choose The Right Greek Yogurt For You
When looking at Greek yogurt, it is important you find ways to maximize your health. Looking for those all-natural products that are low in sugar is a great way to ensure all your gains stay in place. Some artificial flavors just aren’t needed and you are better off adding your own ingredients, like fruit, nuts, and granola, to get that taste.
Also, looking for live cultures can help strengthen your immune system and improve those symptoms for whoever might be lactose intolerant. This is a great way to work for your health with just that added bonus that requires no extra work from you. Considering the fat content as well is important for this can change how you approach buying your Greek yogurt. While it is generally low in fat, some brands may be lower than others, so reading the nutrition label will give you great insight.
Greek Yogurt & Bodybuilding
At the end of the day, Greek yogurt is a great food for bodybuilders. The versatility allows this to slide anywhere in your day and you can always reap the benefits of this great food and what it has to offer. The high protein content is something to keep in mind and since this is low-carb and low-fat, those looking to lose fat can do so with a healthy option. Our job as a bodybuilder is to balance many things at once. Between diet, training, supplementation, personal lives, jobs, and the list goes on and on, having a go to snack or food that we can trust makes our lives just that much easier. Greek yogurt has the ability to be that go to food and can serve you well in the long run.
Greek yogurt is a great food to add to your diet. For those looking for a healthy option as a meal or snack, you’ve found it here with this great option. Knowing what to look for when buying is important and this can greatly affect how you approach your nutrition plan. Give Greek yogurt a try, add your favorite ingredients in or place with a smoothie, and enjoy all of those benefits with no extra work from you.
*Images courtesy of Envato
- Lange, I. ; et al. (2020). “Technology and factors influencing Greek-style yogurt- a Review”. (source)
- Kechagia, M.; et al. (2013). “Health Benefits of Probiotics: A Review”. (source)
- Cormick, G.; et al. (2019). “Calcium Intake and Health”. (source)