This omega-3 supplement gives fish oil a run for its money.
Omega-3 fatty acids, in particular krill oil, are incredibly important for our overall health and while they may already be in the foods you eat, taking a supplement can be a great way to ensure these vital nutrients make it into your body. Krill oil has made noise in recent years for its ability to rival fish oil as a powerful omega-3 supplement. Extracted from Antarctic krill, this krill oil supplement is pure and waiting to give you its benefits of omega 3 fatty acids from fatty fish that can improve your immune response after workouts more than fish oil.
When choosing the right omega 3’s supplement for you, it comes down to three things: benefits, effectiveness, and price. What you will find with krill oil is that the benefits are very similar to fish oil, yet krill oil is arguably more effective. While krill oil can be slightly more expensive, that is due to the harvesting and processing rates of these now much sought after supplements rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Krill oil also helps maintain a balanced nutrition and diet for performance training more than fish oil.
We’ve put together a list of the Best Krill Oil for 2021 so you have the option to choose from a great list of amazing krill oil supplements. The right krill oil product can greatly influence your overall health and wellness and keep you grinding inside and out of the gym.
Best Krill Oil For 2021
- Best Krill Oil Overall: Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil
- Best Krill Oil For Immunity: Bulk Supplements Krill Oil
- Best Krill Oil For Cholesterol: ONNIT Krill Oil
- Best Krill Oil For Brain Health: Viva Naturals Premium Antarctic Krill Oil
- Best Advanced Krill Oil Formula: Sports Research Antarctic Krill Oil
Best Krill Oil Overall
The best krill oil overall will offer large amounts for the best benefits and give you a great all-around product. With clean ingredients and proven results, the best supplement will work for you at all times.
Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil
|Amount Of Krill Oil||1,000mg|
|Number Of Servings||30|
|Serving Size||2 Liquid Softgels|
|Best Way To Take||Take 2 Softgels with your desired beverage of choice.|
This krill oil supplement from Transparent Labs is great for anyone looking for a superior source of nutrition with no harmful fillers or additives from krill oils with unwanted side effects. Transparent Labs prides themselves on transparency and honest labels with every batch being third party tested. With a good amount of omega 3 fatty acids consisting of 120mg of EPA, 55mg of DHA, and 80mcg of astaxanthin, these easy to digest capsules are great for brain, heart, and joint health, with tons of astaxanthin as well making this a solid krill oil.
- Great ingredients and an honest label
- Third party tested and well-researched formula
- No harmful fillers or additives for no unwanted side effects
- From a reputable company in Transparent Labs
- Compared to others, it could have a higher dose of EPA and DHA, as well as astaxanthin
- Only available on their website
Use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Also, click here for our individual review!
Best Krill Oil For Immunity
Our immune health is incredibly important and working with a supplement that can boost immunity is exactly what we need. Krill oil can offer the best for immunity to keep us in the gym longer and seeing the gains we want most.
Bulk Supplements Krill Oil
|Amount Of Krill Oil||1g|
|Number Of Servings||50|
|Serving Size||2 Softgels|
|Best Way To Take||Take 2 softgels, two or three times daily.|
Bulk Supplements Krill Oil is great for those looking to buy in bulk and reap the benefits of this great supplement. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, this supplement can support heart health, support your joints, improve your immune system, and aid in memory. Third party tested for accuracy and manufactured in facilities that are cGMP standard, you know this product comes from a reputable and hardworking company. With 1g of krill oil, these capsules can pump you with that essential ingredient.
- Great benefits for heart and joint health, as well as immunity and memory
- Third party tested for accuracy and honesty
- Good amount of servings per package
- Advertised as taking 2 capsules two or three times daily which is a lot
Best Krill Oil For Cholesterol
The right krill oil will help balance out cholesterol levels to keep our heart as healthy as possible. With such grueling workouts, it can be challenging at times to really keep our heart healthy, but we only have one and it should be treated as such.
ONNIT Krill Oil
|Amount Of Krill Oil||1g|
|Number Of Servings||30|
|Serving Size||2 Softgels|
|Best Way To Take||Take two softgels preferably with food.|
ONNIT brings this krill oil into the mix as a great supplement to support healthy joints and alleviate pain. Packed with 130mg of EPA, 60mg of DHA, and 200mcg of astaxanthin, this krill oil also supports brain and heart health, as well as blood pressure. As a great boost for energy and cognitive health (3), ONNIT supports your overall performance both inside and out of the gym and is one of the top tier krill oils.
- Great for joint pain resulting from the astaxanthin
- Solid krill product to boost energy and cognitive health as well
- The amount of omega 3 fatty acids in DHA and EPA could be a little higher given the amount of astaxanthin
Best Krill Oil For Brain Health
Using a krill oil supplement to capitalize on brain health is a great way to improve focus, mood, and memory. Our cognitive health goes a long way in terms of training and performance and we should absolutely keep that in mind.
Viva Naturals Premium Antarctic Krill Oil
|Amount Of Krill Oil||1,250mg|
|Number Of Servings||30|
|Serving Size||2 capsules|
|Best Way To Take||Take 2 capsules with your desired beverage of choice.|
This krill oil from Viva Naturals has a high concentration of omega-3’s with 165 mg of EPA and 90mg of DHA, along with 1.6mg of astaxanthin. While it is great for joint health and the protection of your body from free radical damage, it seeks to maintain a healthy brain and improve your working memory. Viva Naturals seeks to produce a well-researched krill oil to aid in your overall health.
- Great krill oil supplement to aid with cognitive function and working memory
- A large amount of astaxanthin makes it a reliable immune booster
- The pills are easy-to-swallow and this krill product is well-researched
- The capsules tend to be rather brittle and lead to leakage
- They do have a strong taste
Best Advanced Krill Oil Formula
An advanced formula will be well-researched with clinically-backed dosages. The transparency of an advanced product will ensure what we’re getting is the absolute best.
Sports Research Antarctic Krill Oil
|Amount Of Krill Oil||1,000mg|
|Number Of Servings||60|
|Serving Size||1 Liquid Softgel|
|Best Way To Take||Take 1 liquid softgel with your desired beverage of choice.|
Sports Research brings you this advanced krill oil to really increase the omega-3’s in your body. With sustainably sourced krill and easy-to-swallow capsules, this supplement is great for those looking to really boost the effects of krill oil. With 136mg of EPA and 60mg of DHA, it also has 500mcg of astaxanthin to support immunity and even skin health (5). With this krill oil, Sports Research offers a great, easy to digest product.
- Advanced formula to give you all those vital omega-3’s
- It helps with cholesterol maintenance and joint support and the capsules are easy to digest
- Product quality control for this oil tends to lack slightly, which is disappointing for the price
- It does tend to cause some acid reflux in some people
What Is Krill Oil?
Krill oil is extracted from tiny sea crustaceans called Antarctic krill and is full of both EPA and DHA. This oil is able to be absorbed better than fish oil since it binds to phospholipids as opposed to triglycerides. The benefits of krill oil, although similar to fish oil, do offer some differences that will make you think twice about which omega-3 supplement you buy.
Krill oil can enhance bioavailability because they attach to phospholipids which make omega-3’s easier to absorb allowing for better digestion. In terms of cardiovascular health, krill oil can lower bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels, while increasing your good cholesterol levels (1) to keep your heart health stable and free from serious harm.
The red color of krill oil comes from an antioxidant called astaxanthin which can support your immune system and work to reduce inflammation (2) to improve your workouts and recovery time. The presence of astaxanthin and its valuable properties makes krill oil a popular option.
Benefits Of Krill Oil
Krill oil supplements wear many hats when it comes to your overall health and serves as a powerful omega 3 supplement to work as your friend, similar to fish oil but with more benefits including:
- Enhanced bioavailability: More readily absorbed for efficient gains.
- Promote digestion: Easy on your stomach and can aid in gut health.
- Improve cholesterol and heart health: Works to improve your cholesterol levels and keep them balanced for a healthier heart (3).
- Support immune system: Works to boost your immune system to keep you healthier overall with more time in the gym (4).
- Boost recovery time: Enhance recovery and repair by giving your muscles what they need to fully heal.
- Increase cognitive function and brain health: Increase your cognitive health in terms of focus, memory, and mood and keep you brain firing at all times (5).
Krill Oil Vs. Fish Oil
Many of us have heard of fish oil and often associate omega-3’s with strictly fish oil. But with krill oil entering the mix, we now have a worthy opponent to battle alongside fish oil. When it comes down to it, fish oil binds to triglycerides in efforts to then be absorbed by the body. What krill oil does is actually bind to phospholipids, making it much easier and simpler for your intestines absorb this (6). Krill oil also contains astaxanthin which is a potent carotenoid providing for many benefits to your body. So, while fish oil can still offer great benefits, krill oil is definitely something to consider as if may be more effective for your intended goals.
How We Choose
When looking at the best krill oil, we first look the brand and the reputation of the company representing it. You deserve to have the best products in your routine and working with quality products and companies is an easy way to make that happen. We then look at the ingredients, in terms of how much krill oil is included and any other added ingredients to the supplement. Finally, we look at price. Supplements can get expensive but it is possible to find the right product at an affordable and worthwhile price.
What is the best krill oil supplement?
Transparent Labs CoreSeries Krill Oil. This is great for anyone looking for a superior source of nutrition with no harmful fillers or additives with unwanted side effects. These easy to digest capsules are great for brain, heart, and joint health, with tons of astaxanthin as well making this a solid krill oil.
Do I really need an omega-3 supplement?
You don’t need to have one in your routine, but as part of a well-rounded supplement stack, using those that benefit your overall health and wellness, as well as training and performance, seems like a no brainer.
Why take krill oil over fish oil?
Krill oil is more bioavailable and is easy to digest. It also has a shorter life span so no ocean toxins or any other harmful additives can sneak their way in.
Is it safe to take?
Krill oil is safe to take, but as with all supplements, it is wise to consult a doctor or expert before taking if you have further concerns.
Omega-3 supplements, like krill oil, are incredibly important to consider when thinking of your overall health and wellness. Its powerful properties to aid in immunity, joint health, cognitive and cardiovascular functions, and provide powerful nutrients make these supplements sought after. While fish oil is a popular choice, krill oil is definitely something to consider for the omega 3s and its effects. While science continues to do more and more research into just how great krill oil is, it is arguably more effective than fish oil while providing the same benefits and more.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
*Images courtesy of Envato
- Berge, Kjetil; Musa-Veloso, Kathy; Harwood, Melody; Hoem, Nils; Burri, Lena (2014). “Krill oil supplementation lower serum triglycerides without increasing low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in adults with borderline high or high triglyceride levels”. (source)
- Ekpe, Lawson; Inaku, Kenneth O.; Ekpe, Victor (2018). “Antioxidant effects of astaxanthin in various diseases- a review”. (source)
- Backes, J.; et al. (2014). “Krill Oil for Cardiovascular Risk Prevention: Is It for Real?”. (source)
- Da Boit, M.; et al. (2015). “The Effect of Krill Oil Supplementation on Exercise Performance and Markers of Immune Function”. (source)
- Li, Qian; et al. (2018). “The Protective Effect of Antarctic Krill Oil on Cognitive Function by Inhibiting Oxidative Stress in the Brain of Senescence-Accelerated Prone Mouse Strain 8 (SAMP8) Mice”. (source)
- Ulven, S.; et al. (2015). “Comparison of bioavailability of krill oil versus fish oil and health effect”. (source)