These protein powders and supplements are clean and perfect for any female needs when it comes to muscle growth and weight loss.
When it comes down to boosting growth and recovery, using high-quality, clean protein powders can work wonders for our gains when it comes to weight loss, muscle growth, and recovery. While eating a whole food meal can pump us with protein and other essential macronutrients, we cannot forget to include a protein supplement in our diets for our post-workout recovery routine. With protein being essential for building and maintaining muscle, that shredded female physique you want most is right around the corner with a whey or plant-based and vegan protein source.
For women, a protein powder can help build muscle, maintain muscle, and sculpt a nice physique that others will envy. But it’s important to consider other factors such as weight loss and the ability to help recover so your workouts never falter. Finding the right protein supplement to fit your lifestyle goals, whether it be a vegan protein powder, a solid whey protein supplement, or something else, can really boost all areas of your training, performance, health, and wellness.
This list of the Best Women’s Protein Supplements 2021 is full of great protein powders to boost all areas of female health and wellness, as well as growth and recovery. With clean options to boost muscle building and recovery needs, you can’t go wrong with any of these.
Best Women’s Protein Powders For 2021
- Best Women’s Protein Overall: Cira Nutrition Bright Whey Protein
- Best Clean Muscle Building Protein: Kaged Muscle Plantein
- Best Non-Dairy Vegan Protein: National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan
- Best Organic Grass-Fed Whey Protein: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Isolate
- Best Whey For Weight Loss: NutraBio Whey Protein Isolate
- Best Whey Protein Meal Replacement: Kaged Muscle Clean Meal
Best Women’s Protein Overall
When looking for the best protein powder for women, having one that is specifically designed for women’s needs is essential. With the right ingredients that are dosed properly, women can thrive inside and out of the gym.
Cira Nutrition Bright Whey Protein
|Flavors||Cookies ‘N Cream, Cinnamon Swirl|
|Number Of Servings||30|
Cira Nutrition Bright Whey Protein is a great whey supplement to boost all areas of your training, performance, health, and wellness. With great tastes and no added sugar, it feels like dessert without the guilt attached. With 25g of protein and only 2g of carbs and 1.5g of fat, this supplement is a great ratio to fuel all your growth and recovery needs while also keeping you full. A fully disclosed label and pure honesty makes this supplement the best protein powder overall for female athletes and active women.
- Great ratio of macronutrients
- Awesome flavors with no added sugar
- Fully disclosed and honest label
- Premium priced option
- Only available directly from their website
Best Clean Muscle Building Protein
You want your protein powder to build as much muscle as possible. Doing so in a clean way allows you to only give your body the best and what it deserves.
Kaged Muscle Plantein
|Flavors||Peanut Butter Cookie, Banana Bread, Cinnamon Roll|
|Number Of Servings||15|
Kaged Muscle Plantein Premium Vegan Protein is a great plant-based protein powder for those looking for a clean, fully disclosed, and naturally flavored supplement. This protein builds muscle like whey without the dairy and is 300% absorption so all those nutrients hit you harder. With superior taste, texture, and mixability, this protein is made with MCT oil and provides a complete profile of EAAs and BCAAs. Being soy, dairy, lactose, and gluten free, this is a great pure plant-based option for athletes of all types.
- Clean, fully disclosed, and naturally flavored
- 300% better absorption
- Soy, dairy, lactose, and gluten free
- Great tastes with natural flavors
- Could have more servings per container
Check out our individual review for Kaged Muscle Plantein here!
Best Non-Dairy Vegan Protein
While many protein powders use whey as a primary source, that may not be conducive to many out there. Plant-based and non-dairy options do exist to still give you great benefits that a protein powder can offer.
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan
|Number Of Servings||20|
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan Protein is designed to help bodybuilders, both male and female, progress faster in the gym and with their vegan goals. A 100% natural and organic plant-based protein, this works to increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis, optimize nutrient utilization, boost metabolic efficiency, and enhance athletic recovery. Using organic rice and pea protein, this supplement does not produce inflammation and is more bioavailable than dairy. With 117 calories and 20.5 grams of protein, this powder will work for your overall protein benefit as it helps you adopt a healthy lifestyle while building muscle and providing amino acids from a protein shake.
National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep Vegan is designed for bodybuilders to hit their goals faster. A 100% natural and organic powder, this will work for a number of benefits like muscle growth and recovery, as well as enhancing overall performance.
- 100% organic, plant-based, and naturally flavored with stevia
- Low in calories
- Designed for cleaner and faster absorption
- Manufactured to FDA standards and produced by a reputable company
- Helps you lose weight and keep muscle while being easy to digest
- Only 20 servings per container
- Can only get it from their website directly
- Chocolate is the only flavor
Check out our individual review for National Bodybuilding Co. Full Prep here!
Best Organic Grass-Fed Whey Protein
A clean source of organic protein will prove to be most effective for your overall health. With nothing artificial to ruin a great product, you can be sure you’re only giving your body the best.
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Isolate
|Sugar||Less than 1g|
|Flavors||Cinnamon Pastry, Mocha, French Vanilla, Cookies ‘N Cream, Milk Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cereal Splash, Strawberry, Salted Caramel|
|Number Of Servings||30|
Transparent Labs ProteinSeries 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate boasts an impressive array of eco-friendly accomplishments. It’s organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free. There are no artificial sweeteners — a rarity in a world full of female whey protein powder, which are almost always filled with chemical flavorings to disguise the chalkiness of protein. There are also no artificial colorings or preservatives added. If you have a sensitive stomach, allergies, or just care about the environment, this is an excellent choice for you and your body weight goals and is easy to digest compared to a whey concentrate.
Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate is organic, non-GMO, and gluten-free, boasting a great formula for a top protein powder. With nothing artificial added, this is a clean protein that is easier on your stomach.
- No artificial ingredients and a transparent label
- Third party tested
- Organic and non-GMO
- Good choice for those who tend to be sensitive to certain protein supplements
- Contains essential amino acids
- Right amount of protein per scoop per serving
- Slightly high in carbs and cholesterol
- Despite lactose, their are no digestive enzymes
- Premium priced product
Use the promo code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Check out our individual review for Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate here!
Best Whey For Weight Loss
Weight loss is the main goal for many and having a supplement to help with that can be a game changer. With the right amount of macros and low calorie count, your weight loss goals are possible.
NutraBio Whey Protein Isolate
|Sugar||Less than 1g|
|Flavors||Miss American Pie, Dutch Chocolate, Alpine Vanilla, Strawberry Ice Cream, Bourbon Banana Nut, Chocolate Peanut Butter Bliss, Cinnamon Sugar Donut, Blueberry Muffin, Pancakes and Maple Syrup, Raw Unflavored, Ice Cream Cookie Dream, Root Beer Float|
|Number Of Servings||29.2|
This 100% whey protein isolate is the ultimate powder to provide fast acting support, repair, and recovery while also working to promote muscle protein synthesis, encourage optimal nitrogen retention, and really enhance muscle growth so you see those huge gains come to life. A 100% transparent label ensures no banned fillers or additives ruin this product and honestly shows no soy, lactose, gluten, or hormones are in this protein. Packed with 25g of protein, this supplement contains 0g fat, 1g carbs, and sits at just 100 calories, conducive for any diet.
- Great tasting and fast acting to support repair
- 100% transparent label for honesty and accuracy
- Great ingredients like 5g BCAAs and 4g Glutamine to ensure the best in terms of growth and recovery
- From a reputable and trusted company in NutraBio
- Some flavors do contain sucralose and acesulfame potassium for those looking to avoid artificial flavors.
Check out our individual review for NutraBio Whey Protein Isolate here!
Best Whey Protein Meal Replacement
A meal replacement can work wonders for you and all your goals despite your busy schedule. Having one to continue to boost growth and recovery is icing on the cake as you seek the best for your gains.
Kaged Muscle Clean Meal
|Flavors||Snickerdoodle, Vanilla Cake|
|Best Way To Take||Mix 2 scoops with 10-12 ounces of cold water.|
Kaged Muscle Clean Meal is for those active female athletes and individuals who want to prioritize nutrition while still getting a complete and convenient meal for those on-the-go needs. With whole food ingredients and 21 organic vitamins and minerals, this meal replacement has 123% better amino absorption to help build muscle and strength while also keeping you full throughout the day. Fueled with a formula including whey protein isolate, clean carbs, BCAAs, MCT oil, and zero added sugar, this meal replacement is perfect for fueling athletic performance while providing for a protein rich option for weight loss, digestion, recovery, and other nutritional needs.
- Whole food ingredients
- 21 organic vitamins and minerals
- Quick and nutritious meal replacement
- $2.25 per meal
- Slightly low on number of servings
Use code GENIRON10 for 10% off! Also, check out our individual review for Kaged Muscle Clean Meal here!
Benefits Of Protein Powders For Weight Loss & Muscle Growth
Taking a protein powder, especially after your workout is a great way to boost all areas of your growth and recovery, while also aiding in feeling more full and pumping you with great nutrients. For fueling athletic performance and making sure those valuable gains stick, a great protein powder for female athletes can provide for awesome benefits to your training, performance, health, and wellness.
Benefits of protein powders include:
- Great source of protein: Protein powders tend to be packed with protein to give you a serious protein boost. A convenient way to get plenty of protein, you can’t go wrong with a great shake that is sourced from whey or something more plant-based. These options are a great source of keto protein as well.
- Serious muscle growth: Since protein is essential for muscle growth, having a powder that gives you a serious boost of protein can work wonders for all your muscle building and muscle growth needs (1).
- Enhanced recovery: Protein not only enhances growth, but can help repair those damaged muscles. With a top tier protein powder, your recovery goals are right around the corner (2).
- Help keep you full: These can help keep you full since protein does a great job with that. It will eliminate your desire to snack and help curb hunger, as well as serve as a source of solid keto protein.
- Aid in weight loss: By keeping you more full and curbing hunger, it will help with weight loss and enhance all those goals so you see that desired physique unfold (3).
- Added nutritional benefits: Protein powders contain other vital nutrients that will help you function and can work wonders when it comes to bettering your overall health and wellness.
Whey Protein Vs. Plant-Based Sources
With so many protein powders on the market, it is important to look at the different sources and options for you as a female athlete or active woman. The most common type is whey protein but for those sensitive to dairy or living a vegan lifestyle, plant-based options are great when it comes to building muscle and aiding in recovery without the need for dairy. Both options serve as a solid form of keto protein as well.
This form of protein is a more filtered form of whey where the percentage of protein is much higher while containing little to no carbs or fats. For those looking to cut or keep on that lean muscle, a whey isolate is a great choice for you (4).
This form of whey protein offers a healthy dose of protein while containing some carbs and fats. Although it is higher in carbs and fat than a whey isolate, the balance of macros is just right and it is still a healthy option. This form is great for those looking to bulk and increase strength and size (5).
This form of protein is a great plant-based option and is extracted from yellow peas. It contains all nine essential amino acids (EAAs) and will most certainly help with muscle growth and recovery while still giving you a great plant-based option.
Brown Rice Protein
Another stellar vegan protein source, this has a high amount of BCAAs and will give you a great boost for muscle growth and recovery (6). This tends to not have irritants to give you a clean source of lean protein.
Other Plant-Based Sources
- Chia Seeds
- Sunflower Seed
- Pumpkin Seed
Safety & Effectiveness Of Protein Powders
Protein powders are safe to use and can work wonders for your gains. It is best to take a protein supplement in the window of 15-60 minutes after your workout so all these nutrients work for your benefit and female performance. You won’t be disappointed with the results of a good protein powder.
How We Choose The Best Protein Powders
When it came to choosing the best protein powders for female athletes and active women, we know how daunting the task can be. That’s why we’ve come up with this list for you. We sought the best brands possible because you deserve to have the best brands representing you. With a reputable company behind you and the product, you know exactly what you are putting into your body. We also looked at the ingredients and effectiveness, as well as the type of protein source. Some contain whey protein while others are vegan and plant-based, but both can serve as good sources of keto protein also. The benefits and how effective the supplement is was something we looked closely at. We of course know that these supplements can get expensive so we sought the best products at the best price point to alleviate any financial stress on you and your wallet.
What is the best protein powder for women?
Cira Nutrition Bright Whey Protein. This protein is a great whey supplement for female athletes and active women to boost all areas of your training, performance, health, and wellness. With great tastes and no added sugar, it feels like dessert without the guilt attached. With 25g of protein and only 2g of carbs and 1.5g of fat, this supplement is a great ratio to fuel all your growth and recovery needs while also keeping you full.
Do vegan protein powders compare well to whey protein supplements?
Vegan and plant-based powders stack up well when compared to whey protein due to the great amounts of protein and other ingredients. These will help with things like training, performance, muscle growth, weight loss, and provide a clean source of protein to aid in your health and wellness. Those with a sensitivity to dairy can greatly benefit from a vegan and plant-based protein option.
When should I take a protein supplement?
The best time to take protein powder is around 15-60 minutes after your workout. This will give your body time to absorb all those nutrients to aid in growth and recovery and boost the effects to optimize all benefits.
Do I really need a protein powder?
If you are active and want to see increased results then a protein supplement is perfect you. For those who want to stay full and eliminate the desire for snacking, a protein powder is a great way to do that as well. For all your muscle building and weight loss needs, a protein powder should absolutely be in your routine.
Finding the best protein powder for women and female athletes can be challenging. With so many brands and options, sifting through can feel like a nightmare. This list reflects those products that we felt you need to know about as you seek to boost all areas of your health and wellness, and of course, training and performance. With a top tier protein powder on your shelf, mixed with other great supplements, you are well on your way to real gains and a physique others will envy. Either whey or something more vegan and plant-based, all of your needs can absolutely be met. Check out this list and see what these awesome supplements can do for you.
Generation Iron may receive commissions on purchases made through our links. See our disclosure page for more information.
- Pasiakos, Stefan M.; McLellan, Tom M.; Lieberman, Harris R. (2015). “The effects of protein supplements on muscle mass, strength, and aerobic and anaerobic power in healthy adults: a systematic review”. (source)
- Pasiakos, Stefan M.; Lieberman, Harris R.; McLellan, Tom M. (2014). “Effects of protein supplements on muscle damage, soreness and recovery of muscle function and physical performance: a systematic review”. (source)
- Leidy, Heather J.; Clifton, Peter M.; Astrup, Arne; Wycherley, Thomas P.; et al. (2015). “The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance”. (source)
- Pal, Sebely; Ellis, Vanessa; Dhaliwal, Satvinder (2010). “Effects of whey protein isolate on body composition, lipids, insulin and glucose in overweight and obese individuals”. (source)
- Tipton, Kevin D.; Elliott, Tabatha A.; Cree, Melanie G.; Wolf, Steven E.; et al. (2004). “Ingestion of Casein and Whey Proteins Result in Muscle Anabolism after Resistance Exercise”. (source)
- Kalman, Douglas S. (2014). “Amino Acid Composition of an Organic Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Isolate Compared to Soy and Whey Concentrates and Isolates”. (source)