The biography, life, and accomplishments of William Long
William Long is a half-Caucasian half-Korean International Natural Bodybuilding Association (INBA)/Professional Natural Bodybuilding Association (PNBA) natural bodybuilder born on April 24, 1987. William Long is known as “The OG” after becoming the first PNBA Men’s Physique Natural Olympia champion. He’s the reigning 3x champ and an INBA PNBA Hall of Fame Inductee.
William Long was also the first natural athlete to sign a multi-media contract with the INBA PNBA, Generation Iron, and Iron Man Magazine.
Below is a complete breakdown of William Long’s profile, stats, biography, training, and diet regimen.
|Full Name: William Long|
|Weight||Height||Date Of Birth|
|165 lbs (in-season), 180-190 lbs (off-season)||5’8″||04/24/1987|
|Men’s Physique||2010||Half-Caucasian, Half-Korean|
William Long was born in Fort Polk, Louisiana, on April 24, 1987. Although, he moved a lot being an army brat growing up. He credits Virginia for being the state he grew up in. However, he’s been residing in California since 2009.
William Long attended West Virginia University and initially majored in pre-veterinary medicine until he realized his true passion lay in health and fitness. Long then switched his major to human nutritional sciences. He also holds a criminal justice associate’s degree and is a certified personal trainer through the American Council on Exercise (ACE).
William Long is the number one ranked Men’s Physique competitor worldwide. He dominates this division and has won three gold medals at Natural Olympia, never placing below second in the six Natural Olympia shows he’s competed in.
- 2021 PNBA/INBA Natural Olympia: 1st Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2021 PNBA/INBA Mr. and Ms. USA: 3rd Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2019 PNBA/INBA Natural Olympia: 2nd Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2019 PNBA/INBA World Cup: 1st Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2019 PNBA/INBA Battle Against Cancer: 1st Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2017 PNBA/INBA Natural Olympia: 1st Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2017 PNBA/INBA Night of the Natural Champions: 2nd Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2016 PNBA/INBA Natural Olympia: 2nd Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2016 PNBA/INBA Team USA: 1st Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2015 PNBA/INBA Natural Olympia: 2nd Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2015 PNBA/INBA Team USA: 3rd Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2013 NPC Team USA: (no placement)
- 2012 PNBA/INBA Natural Olympia: 1st Place Pro Men’s Physique
- 2012 NPC Los Angeles Grand Prix: 1st Place Open Men’s Physique Class B
- 2012 NPC Los Angeles Championship: 3rd Place Open Men’s Physique Class B
- 2012 INBA Iron Gladiator:
- 1st Place Novice Men’s Bodybuilding
- 3rd Place Men’s Open
- 2011 INBA Mr. & Ms. Los Angeles:
- 1st Place Novice Men’s Bodybuilding
- 3rd Place Men’s Open Bodybuilding
- 2011 INBA Iron Gladiator: 1st Place Novice Men’s Bodybuilding
William Long’s Workout Plan
William Long said there’s nothing special about his workout plan and stated, “I go to the gym and bust my ass.” He’s tried various protocols and has found that consistency is the most important.
Currently, Long does a typical “bro split,” training a separate muscle group once per week, five days a week, with two rest days. And he limits cardio. Instead, he likes to focus on his step count to preserve muscle and help with recovery.
William Long trains from home and consistently does basic compound movements such as barbell bench press, barbell row, barbell squat, and barbell overhead press with heavy weight and high intensity.
Below is what a typical workout week looks like for William Long.
Day 1 – Legs
- Leg Extension Superset Leg Curl: 5 sets x 15, 12 10, 8, 6 reps
- Smith Machine Squat/Barbell Squat: 5 sets x 15, 12, 10, 10, 8 reps
- Leg Press (5th Set Triple Drop Set): 4 sets x 15, 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Stiff-leg Barbell/Dumbbell Deadlift: 5 sets x 15, 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Walking Dumbbell Lunge: 3 sets x 20 reps
Day 2 – Chest and Triceps
- Incline/Flat Barbell/Dumbbell Bench Press: 6 sets x 15, 12, 10 10, 8, 8 reps
- Single-arm Hammer Strength/Dumbbell Incline/Flat Chest Press: 3 sets x 10 reps
- Cable Chest Fly Superset Cable Chest Press: 4 sets x 10 reps/ 4 sets x 15 reps
- Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extension: 3 sets x 12, 10, 10 reps
- Cable Pushdown (Rope Attachment): 5 sets x 15, 15, 12, 12, 12 reps
Day 3 – Back and Biceps
- Wide Grip Lat Pull-down: 4 sets x 15, 12, 12, 10 reps
- Underhand Grip Pull-down: 4 sets x 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Bent-over Barbell Row: 4 sets x 12, 10, 10, 8 reps
- One-arm Dumbbell Row: 3 sets x 12, 10, 10 reps
- Barbell Deadlift/Rack Pull: 4 sets x 10, 10, 8, 6 reps
- Overhead Lat Pull-down/Dumbbell Pullover: 5 sets x 12-15 reps/4 sets x 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Barbell 21’s: 3 sets x 21 reps
- Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 3 sets x 10-12 reps
Day 4 – Shoulders
- Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 5 sets of 15, 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 5 sets of 15, 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Bent-over Dumbbell Rear Raise: 5 sets of 15, 12, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Barbell Upright Row: 4 sets of 10 reps
- Seated Arnold Press Drop Set (Whole Rack): 1 set x 6 reps
Day 5 – Chest and Back
- Flat Dumbbell/Machine Chest Press Superset Pull-up/Lat Pulldown: 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Fly Superset Machine Row: 4 sets x 15, 12, 10, 10 reps
- Dips: 3 sets x failure
- Dumbbell Pullover: 3 sets x 10-12 reps
- Decline Pushup Superset Pushup Superset Knee Pushup: 1 set x failure
*Note: Rest one minute or less between sets.
What Are William Long’s Favorite Exercises?
William Long stated his favorite exercises below.
“Deadlifts are without a doubt my favorite exercise. There’s nothing like pulling heavy weight off the ground. Deadlifts engage the entire body and give you a greater boost in testosterone and growth hormone than any other exercise, in my opinion.
Barbell rows are a close second. Again, pulling heavy weight. Heavy rows have developed my back width and density more than anything else.
Pullover Press is an old school compound exercise I attribute most to the development of my triceps. It’s a total upper body movement that is a combination of a pullover and close grip bench press. It really opens you up.”
Below is a written statement of William Long detailing his nutrition.
“As far as my diet goes, it’s pretty basic. I try to incorporate the most nutrient-dense foods possible within my calorie allotment and macronutrient breakdown. Whether it’s pre-contest or off-season, I eat the same meals. The only difference is quantity.
When I diet down for competition all I do is gradually reduce what I have already been eating. My macronutrient breakdown is normally 1-1.15g protein/lb bodyweight, 20-25% of my calories from fats, and the remainder of my calories filled by carbs.
Some unique foods I like to incorporate are kimchi and sesame oil. What I believe helped improve my physique the most was paying attention to my electrolytes balance. I included more potassium-rich foods like spinach, bananas, and potatoes.
I also measured my salt. I have never felt better during a prep. Everything is weighed and measured so everything can be controlled and easily manipulated.”
Below is what a typical day of eating looks like for William Long.
Upon Waking: Drink at least 20 oz cold water.
Meal #1: Fish oil, 1 serving fiber, 1 serving greens formula, 1 serving whey, 140 g blueberries (fresh or frozen; wild preferred), 2 bananas, 3 whole eggs, 1 cup (8 oz) unsweetened coconut milk, 75 g spinach (raw weight), ¼ tsp pink sea salt
Meal #2: 6 oz (cooked weight) 96/4 beef, 75 g spinach (raw weight), 2 cups Jasmine white rice (cooked measure), ¼ tsp pink sea salt, Sriracha (any low-calorie condiment under 15 cal.)
Pre-Workout (within 30 min of): 1 serving whey, 1 serving pre-workout, 1 banana
Post Workout (immediately afterward): 1 serving whey 1 banana
Meal #3: Fish oil, 6 oz (cooked weight) 96/4 beef, 75 g spinach (raw weight), 2 cups Jasmine white rice (cooked measure), 1 tbs toasted sesame oil, ¼ tsp pink sea salt, Sriracha (any low-calorie condiment under 15 cal.)
Before Bed: Drink at least 20 oz water 1 serving of ZMA.
Below are the supplements William Long takes.
- Greens Formula
- Omega 3’s/Fish Oil
- Whey Protein
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3
- Fat burner (only during contest prep)
William Long is an active serving member of the United States Air Force as part of the security force (military law enforcement). In addition, Long is a certified personal trainer and contest prep coach. He’s been married since 2016 and has a one-year-old son, Owen. William Long enjoys tasting new food and loves going to the cinema. He’s also a fan of Bourbon.